Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Your gallery of 2D plots

Blog Entries

Hi Ems

I wonder if Open Office isn't rendering that red box properly? Jim shared the Excel file, so I can show you what it looks like in Excel. I think that looks like a really good colony. It isn't necessary to have all wings in the box but if most of them are there then the genetics of the colony is good, and that one looks good to me. If it lacks orange more than a couple of spots on some bees, is brown to black, has brown hair rather than pale hair, and doesn't have a slender, tapered look to the abdomen, then it is an ideal candidate for breeding.

Anyone else use Open Office?

cheers

Gavin

Ems.jpg

Hi EmsE

You forgot to tell everybody it came out at 85% Amm.
    After doing a lot of scans I am coming to the conclussion that to get 100% Amm is more by luck. The majority of scans I see are falling between 80 - 90% for Amm which should be good enough for breeding. The hybrid colonies are quite easy to see as they tend to be a lot worse 20 - 30% Amm.
    On the Rosneath Peninsula a lot of our colonies were in the 80% area without any selective breeding. For a number of years we tried to control colonies coming into the area to stop varroa and any new beekeeper was given local bees therefore we were protecting the local bees for years without knowing it. As I have said when all the colonies were surveyed in 2007 the majority were in the 80% area

Blog Entries

Anything over 80% is good enough for me.
    The two colonies I used for grafting last year were around 80% according to drawwing and I got some very nice queens from them.
    It's important as well to avoid drawWing fever as I think it's main value is in eliminating dark hybridized stocks which superficially look like native bees.
    These are the ones which may well give you problems a couple of generations down the line if you breed from them.

It looks like you have some good stock which you can start breeding from.
    Last edited by Jon; 06-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Hi Ems

I wonder if Open Office isn't rendering that red box properly?
    I would love to lay the blame with open office, however it is most likely that I've inadvertently moved the red lines when trying to copy & paste- too honest for my own good.

It's great to have an unexpectedly handy start to my bee breeding plans, now I need to learn what I'm doing

It's just taken me over 3 hours to get back from work (26 miles in total, an hour for the last 3)- who sent that snow storm over to the west!! Reading up on the different queen rearing techniques will cheer me up nicely (or maybe confuses me to the point I forget about the roads.)

Blog Entries

Hi Folks

No wish to be heavy-handed, and I know that I'm the worst culprit, but I can see advantages in keeping this thread for discussions on and posting folks' morphometry plots. It might end up a useful record. So I've just moved some discussion on queen raising to a new thread. No slight to anyone intended, and as I said I'm the worst culprit .... but this thread is a bit different.

Everyone happy with that? [That was rhetorical by the way! Or answer on the new thread.] Keep posting the plots though ....

G.

Default A Rosneath Plot

Peat 1 SBA.pdf I hope this plot works,

Jim

Default And Another Rosneath colony

Dear all,
    sorry about publishing the plots as a PDF but can't get the hang on getting a file into photoediting software etcPeat 3.pdf
    Jimbo

Default Not A Rosneath Plot!

Hi Guys,
    A Pure Carniolan plotCarnica plot.pdf

Jim

Blog Entries

Here is one plotting a set of Carnica wings and a set of AMM wings.

Not much overlap!!

carnica plot with AMM.jpg

Blog Entries

Excellent stuff guys. Jon, what about the plots with the Hantel Index? It seems likely that the HI discriminates carnica and ligustica, with carnica being the odd one out this time.

G.