Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top bar hive seduction!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Where I think perhaps the calmer bit comes from is the top bars are flush so you're only exposing at most two frames of bees at any one time.

Inspection cloths on a standard hive should achieve similar I'd have thought. I've not used the so far but will be giving them a go this year.
    ... and potentially carry disease from one colony to another?

Perhaps I'm just being neurotic. Most people don't change or disinfect their gloves between hives.

Blog Entries

Unless I've got cause to suspect there's something wrong I tend not to within Apiaries to be perfectly honest unless I've got myself covered in propolis in which case the hive tool goes in the soda and a new pair of gloves go on. I do try to remember to change or at least scrub the hive tool between inspections but I'd be a liar if I said I always remembered. No kit that comes in contact with a hive goes between apiaries without going through a soda solution bucket though.

I think there's taking reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of disease and then there's taking it to extremes. Techncally I should remove swarms and quarantine them somewhere, but in the end I settle for dosing them with OA and keeping a close eye on them for a few months. From a practical point of view there is nowhere I could take them around this part of the world that would place them in effective quarantine.