Thread: Tom Seeley Bee-Lining

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting find prakel. I think that Seeley comments on the accuracy (or not) of triangulation methods. For example, they'd surely fly around the water in the image posted ...?

When out walking in the hills above my house this summer I kept a good lookout for honey bees on big patches of suitable forage like rosebay willow herb. Despite knowing of a few hives within a mile or two I saw very few bees. Seeley makes a point about having suitable conditions in terms of available forage - maybe there was more than enough closer to home? I also suspect that there are very few feral colonies in my area. Nevertheless, a beelining box is on the list of things to make. Or you can buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    They've always, point blank, refused to ship to the UK when I've enquired about odds and ends, so may require a middleman. Wouldn't be as much fun as making our own either!

Blog Entries

they dont look too hard to make, 4" high by approx 12" long rectangular box. inside use plywood for the slots and a bit of OMF floring for rear if no glass available.

$45 when compared with the satisfaction of creating your own masterpiece together with the scar tissue to prove it ... a no brainer

Blog Entries

This could be a bit of fun for kids, teaching them about maths and natural history only Americans can think of these games.
    http://bee-quick.com/reprints/500.pdf