Thread: Is there a native honey bee

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

In reply two the last to posts the fee will be increased by €18 I am told. As for FIBKA and NIHBS I have attended more NIHBS workshops than FIBKA ones and because NIHBS it is a smaller group more people know each other and it seems like a friendly bunch of people interested in talking about bees rather than politics. Unfortunately NIHBS do not provide insurance but even if they did I still don't know what I am entitled to from it people say it covers you for this and that but until there is an actual court case and lawyers fight it out nobody knows what it covers. I never had to access it but I cannot even access an extractor from my local association as that is not covered by insurance. So what do I get as an associated member, 12 editions of An Beachaire, A conference in gormanstown for one week which I pay for to attend, Examinations, and this famous insurance.
    What do I get from NIHBS 4 editions of the Four seasons, 1day long conference which I pay to attend, Invites to numerous apiaries, workshops on Queen rearing, Workshops on pest and disease control, membership of bee improvement group, Regular study group run by NIHBS members for FIBKA exams. Lots of chat and banter about bees and access to numerous people who will answer my questions no matter how controversial or silly that are. Interesting times ahead.
    Last edited by Greengage; 27-09-2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: grammer??

Blog Entries

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/envir...-all-1.3243037
    Native honey bee confirmed.
    Now there is an opportunity to have Ireland declared import free, This window will not remain open for ever.
    We are an Island behind an Island on the edge of a continent. We need someone who has a scientific background to talk to the decision makers they must have good charisma and political skills to negotiate with the powers that be. Somehow I don't think we have that person on the island although some do great work. We are governed on the island by two different jurisdictions so that will be two governments that need to be convinced don't think that will succeed but it is as it is. Being members of the EU there will be the issue of free movements of goods to negotiate. Good news for people who keep Amm. I snse more trouble ahead amongst beekeepers for those who import bees and Buckfast groups. Anyway I think its good news well to the researcher and my bees who contributed came back as 98% pure with a bit of Italian in there. Don't know how they will fare when they are out mating next year. Unless we could flood the area with Drones. But not everyone agrees. Interesting times.

Its an interesting conundrum. In Denmark the island of Lęsų is an Amm reserve. But it wasn't without it's teething problems as some beekeepers on the island wanted Italian bees and resisted being legally restricted to one type. IIRC the Amm lobby initially won but a change in government meant the Italians could be imported...they were...and then another change and now AMM's only...with a smattering of Italian.
    With II any strain of bee can be propagated indefinitely and several unique strains can be kept in the same apiary. Many bee research stations do this. So no problem retaining any unique populations. Sperm can be stored and T-REX resurrected as required.