Thread: R.I.P. The 1lb round.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Also, my honey is nutritious food for local families, not some twee gifty shite for well heeled tourists.
    I totally agree with you mbc. A fair bit of my honey is given away and I sell as much as I can door to door. But I get paid a lot more money from the shop I supply to than I get from selling it door to door. A local deli is selling Scottish blended honey in 8oz hex jars for £4.15; a price I think is far too high. If anyone has the magic formula for quantity, quality and value please let me know.

I've no idea what the magic formula is I'm afraid … I just hope that the 1 lb round remains in favour a little longer as I've got several hundred in my store to use up. I also dislike the 12oz hex jars with the shoulders that always seem to trap bubbles. Finally the 8 oz jars hardly seem to be worth the trouble of filling (though I suppose I might change my mind if I was able to charge over £4 for it).

BBKA have a go at estimating the cost of running a hive this month (last month?) - I've not read it thoroughly but have been thinking about this recently. For me it's a hobby and I don't need to turn a profit, though it would be good to recoup some of the outlay (like the new extractor I have my eye on). However, my time is the thing in shortest supply and bottling honey - washing jars, drying lids, labelling etc. - is very time consuming. Another reason for me to keep going with the 1 lb rounds for as long as possible.