Thread: SG consultation on an Amm reserve on Colonsay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Voices in the head is no problem they say unless you start to answer them.

Phew that's ok then

Jimbo Joking aside will there be a map of near AMM by the time the Acarine project and your scanning project complete ?

I watched the news this morning and a kid had built his own DNA analyser for £400 in his bedroom to check his brothers DNA.
    He says he proved his brothers red hair was a mutation (and not a milkman) phenomenon

Hi DR,

I have just completed the first 12 samples sent by Ewan. Another 35 is in the post. I don't know how many wing samples Ewan has for me and I don't know how Ewan is progressing with his Acarine study. He may be along later to give you an update
    Ewan's samples are identifed by their post codes which I hope to send to Donna (a beekeeper I met a few years ago on the morphometry course) who works in Moray college and has experience and software for mapping the data
    The wing morphometry is not part of Ewan's original Acarine study but I thought it was too good a chance to miss getting a large number of samples from various locations. It could be used as a pilot study to a more comprehensive mapping study of Amm organised perhaps through the SBA

Hi Jimbo

Thanks for the info and well done for taking on the work involved scanning the samples
    Hope the results come from a wide area and the map can be made.
    Plus I'm sure the acarine study will be enhanced by knowing which bees may be more AMM

Have you started building that DNA analyser yet I can see a whole new career opening up for you

I'll get one of my minions started on it or may leave it til summer and give it to a school pupil as a summer project. I have far more important things to do like finding the wonder drug that will cure Diabetes from all that honey we will be producing this year.

Blog Entries

An update this afternoon from the Scottish Government:

Good afternoon

You may be interested to note that The Bee Keeping (Colonsay and Oronsay) Order 2013 has been laid before the Scottish Parliament today. It prohibits the keeping of any type of honey bee, on the island of Colonsay, other than the black bee.

The order can be found here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/20.../contents/made

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who have taken the time to share your views, knowledge and suggestions with the Scottish Government on this subject.

Regards

---
    [name removed for the forum]
    Wildlife and Protected Areas | Natural Resources Division |Directorate for Environment and Forestry
    The Scottish Government | 1-C North | Victoria Quay | Edinburgh | EH6 6QQ | T: 0131 244 6544
    www.scotland.gov.uk/nonnativespecies