Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SG consultation on an Amm reserve on Colonsay

Hi Jimbo

Thanks for the info and well done for taking on the work involved scanning the samples
    Hope the results come from a wide area and the map can be made.
    Plus I'm sure the acarine study will be enhanced by knowing which bees may be more AMM

Have you started building that DNA analyser yet I can see a whole new career opening up for you

I'll get one of my minions started on it or may leave it til summer and give it to a school pupil as a summer project. I have far more important things to do like finding the wonder drug that will cure Diabetes from all that honey we will be producing this year.

Blog Entries

An update this afternoon from the Scottish Government:

Good afternoon

You may be interested to note that The Bee Keeping (Colonsay and Oronsay) Order 2013 has been laid before the Scottish Parliament today. It prohibits the keeping of any type of honey bee, on the island of Colonsay, other than the black bee.

The order can be found here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/20.../contents/made

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who have taken the time to share your views, knowledge and suggestions with the Scottish Government on this subject.

Regards

---
    [name removed for the forum]
    Wildlife and Protected Areas | Natural Resources Division |Directorate for Environment and Forestry
    The Scottish Government | 1-C North | Victoria Quay | Edinburgh | EH6 6QQ | T: 0131 244 6544
    www.scotland.gov.uk/nonnativespecies

Gavin, does this make it law? Or do they have to vote or something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Gavin, does this make it law? Or do they have to vote or something?
    Don't you know your Acts of Sederunt?! Well, our Acts of Sederunt. Scottish Ministers can make Scottish Statutory Instruments, secondary legislation which I guess means that it isn't brought into being via debates and votes of the elected assembly. Looks like it is Law or will be once Hogmanay is over. Get your Italian packages here, roll up roll up, better get them in quickly! (I jest, as I'm sure everyone realises)

Scottish Statutory Instruments 2013 No. 279

Animals

The Bee Keeping (Colonsay and Oronsay) Order 2013

Made 24th September 2013

Laid before Parliament 26th September 2013

Coming into force 1st January 2014

The Scottish Ministers make the following Order in exercise of the powers conferred by section 14ZC of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981(1) and all other powers enabling them to do so.

In accordance with section 26(4A) of that Act(2) they have consulted Scottish Natural Heritage and any other person appearing to them to have an interest in the making of the Order.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ...Looks like it is Law or will be once Hogmanay is over. Get your Italian packages here, roll up roll up, better get them in quickly! (I jest, as I'm sure everyone realises)
    How about amm which are clearly of foreign origin? The wording seems to allow for their import.

I suppose anyone living on Colonsay can get bees from Andrew Abrahams because they can't get them elsewhere now ?

Blog Entries

I think Andrew is the only beekeeper on Colonsay.

Default SG consultation on an Amm reserve on Colonsay

Hurrah!

(to the confirmation, not Jon's last point)
    Last edited by gavin; 26-09-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: fused it with the existing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I think Andrew is the only beekeeper on Colonsay.
    Well unless he plans living forever then there will have to be some others