Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi there everyone

Good sized hive stands. A particular design you found online or of your own making.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Good sized hive stands. A particular design you found online or of your own making.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Hi thanks for the kind comment They are of my own making and design not to hard to work out ;-)

Default Bees out in force today 31-3-2016

Well not sure what the weather was like with you guys but here it was about 11 to 12 deg . went to take the dog out for a walk at the forest and decided to check on the bees on the way and this is what I saw

A nice sight to see for me anyway as this is just my 1st year still, Loads more to learn BUT very eager to learn.

Well after the last few days of rain and drizzle. I popped up to see how the bees were and to my astonishment they were out in force, temp was 10° and wind about 10 to 12 mph. Sorry if I am boring you with these videos but as my first year I want to document as much as I can and then I have something to refer back to next year ect etc

Anyway I hope you like the video and please let me know if your bees are flying as strong ??

Two quick observations ...

Firstly I've got more standing water in one of my apiaries after the rain of the last couple of days
    Secondly ... and more significantly, your hives look to be beyond the 'fulcrum' point of whatever of the stands (wrong name I'm sure). What would happen if you removed one hive and the other had 200 lb of honey in the supers? I'd centralise them over the place where the legs of your rather nice have stands are connected.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Two quick observations ...

Firstly I've got more standing water in one of my apiaries after the rain of the last couple of days
    Secondly ... and more significantly, your hives look to be beyond the 'fulcrum' point of whatever of the stands (wrong name I'm sure). What would happen if you removed one hive and the other had 200 lb of honey in the supers? I'd centralise them over the place where the legs of your rather nice have stands are connected.
    Cheers

Hi FS, thanks for your observations .....

Firstly if its that bad you better buy a boat
    Secondly these hive stands are not going to be used for hives standing on when working they will be on lower hive stands or pallets (have been looking at plastic ones) they stack in each other so don't take up much room and are light... But yes you are correct they could topple over if there were only two hives one on each side BUT then again these hive stands were built to take 3 hives so that would not happen if used correctly

Gwizzie
    Shove them over the legs it'll only take minute you stubborn so and so

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Gwizzie
    Shove them over the legs it'll only take minute you stubborn so and so
    LOL haha ok pops

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    LOL haha ok pops
    Lol dont tell everyone

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Secondly these hive stands are not going to be used for hives standing on when working they will be on lower hive stands or pallets ...
    Do you mean those tripple stands are only winter stands? Or are you going to move each hive down in turn to a lower stand when inspecting them?

You can keep the set-up and save the stands from toppling by weighting them down with sandbags slung over the lower struts. I do that with all my stands.

IMG_20160218_124731.jpg

Kitta