Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get a microscope can anyone advise

The microbox looks good to me everything you need in not too big quantities
    plus it must fit in the box
    very neat
    My microscopy chemicals are two storage boxes with sealed lids

Blog Entries

I wish my collection was as compact, add in dissection kit etc, and it all mounts up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    I have only used the DM5 stereo microscope at the current time, we're starting up a beginner's microscopy group run by an ex 'professional' microscopist, though not on bees, after easter, so I've yet to really try out the SP20 in anger so this really is a beginner's assessment:

The stereo microscope is certainly easy to use. Grab a bee (dead preferably or they tend to run/fly off) and put it under the scope and have a look at it.

Both come nicely packaged so there's little chance of damage in transit, both come with dust covers and seem to be well put together and solid bits of kit.

There is little in the way of operating instructions that come with the microscopes though there was a suggestion that I should have some oil for the compound 'scope which I don't seem to have and Brunel's site is pretty weak on that side of things in terms of figuring out what other bits and bobs a budding microscopist might want or need to get started and/or take it to the next level.

I did find some better images of the two 'scopes:

From my limited experience point of view, what I like about the stereo 'scope is that it takes batteries so you could chuck it in a bag and take it with you to the apiary and have a look at things while you were there.

My complaint with the compound is that the lead for the light is very short. Remembering way back when to science lessons in school, it'd be fine when you have a plug a foot or so away next to the gas tap, but for the rest of us where the sockets are a few feet a away from the table and on the floor it's not that practical.

Otherwise they both seem to be well put together and solid bits of kit, especially considering you can have them both for a shade over £100.

My gut feeling is that if I get into the microscopy side of things at all that I will quickly find myself outgrowing them, certainly, the compound one and wanting to get something better or more flexible relatively soon. I'd like to be able to put a camera down it without having to remove the eyepiece for example.

Once I get a chance to use them properly in anger I'll update my thoughts.
    I am sorry to be coming to this too late, I saw the dissecting microscope at the brunell display at Gormanston and thought the upright stance of the eye tubes would be awkward. I would rather spend a bit more and get inclined tubes.

Blog Entries

I think it looks worse than it is because as an alternate downside, it's not very high either. Out of the two, this is the one that think I'll outgrow and look to replace quickest. The compound is perfectly fine and ultimately I find that you just use it less, most of the time is in the actual slide preparation in many respects whereas you tend to be doing stuff(tm) with a dissecting microscope and I was definitely spoiled by the one I used on the NDB course in comparison but it costs 5x+ as much to buy.

Neil
    Not sure of the size of your budget but like you after a course at HA I was spoiled by the zoom stereos.
    This one, although via Fleabay, is very good. It is a Gx optical model and a trinocular.
    It is quite a bit larger than than the one you illustrated.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTL3T101-T...item1c350b6146

Trinocular scopes seem to cost a fair bit more than binocular.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    Trinocular scopes seem to cost a fair bit more than binocular.
    It does seem that feature adds a lot to the price
    Buying S/H on Ebay some of the stuff has done the rounds and is pretty worn
    If you find something with one previous owner that's better

This is a good site to keep your eye on. Scopes come around fairly regularly.
    Make sure you click on relevant sub menus, eg. Both pre-owned, ex lab., as well as bargains, ex demo., not forgetting there may be several pages in each category. As they are supplied by a microscope company there is a bit more assurance than Fleabay.
    http://www.usedmicroscopes.co.uk/index.html

Blog Entries

Default Looking to get a microscope can anyone advise

While there are undoubtedly some deals to be had I think Ruary raised good points, especially about buying from eBay as a beginner, which I certainly class myself as at the moment.

As an aside, apart from Brunel are there any other companies people use or recommend for buying additional kit for making up slides? Brunel's site is a bit of a nightmare to navigate and there are a few things I want that they don't seem to carry.