Thread: Book thread/forum section

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wedmore was my bible for years,but post varroa and OMF I wonder if there is such a book available now to keep a beginner on the right road

Quote Originally Posted by nemphlar View Post
    Wedmore was my bible for years,but post varroa and OMF I wonder if there is such a book available now to keep a beginner on the right road

maybe Beebase for the Varroa and diseases stuff because it keeps fairly up to date

I Suppose as I started this I better contribute something!
    On another thread I asked for advice on a good book about queen rearing, a few of you suggested "Queen Rearing Essentials" by Lawrence John Connor, in the process of searching for the book online I came across another book by the same author called Increase Essentials, as I was starting again from scratch this year I decided to buy this book first as I felt it was more relevant to my current beekeeping circumstances.
    Having finished reading it I found it very informative and an easy read. The book has opened my eyes to looking at increasing colony numbers as an end in itself rather than exclusively as part of swarm prevention. The book explains the biology behind increases and goes into detail about various methods, preparations and prerequisuits for creating increase colonies. Some parts of the book discuss specifics of beekeeping in America but the overall principles can certainly be applied anywhere. This book, for me, should definitely be used as a reference book, I see myself going back to this book again and again and will definitely make the Queen Rearing book one of my next purchases.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    I Suppose as I started this I better contribute something!
    On another thread I asked for advice on a good book about queen rearing, a few of you suggested "Queen Rearing Essentials" by Lawrence John Connor, in the process of searching for the book online I came across another book by the same author called Increase Essentials, as I was starting again from scratch this year I decided to buy this book first as I felt it was more relevant to my current beekeeping circumstances.
    Having finished reading it I found it very informative and an easy read. The book has opened my eyes to looking at increasing colony numbers as an end in itself rather than exclusively as part of swarm prevention. The book explains the biology behind increases and goes into detail about various methods, preparations and prerequisuits for creating increase colonies. Some parts of the book discuss specifics of beekeeping in America but the overall principles can certainly be applied anywhere. This book, for me, should definitely be used as a reference book, I see myself going back to this book again and again and will definitely make the Queen Rearing book one of my next purchases.

Steven
    Larry Connor's thinking with regards to overwintering nucs is of course very heavily influenced by the work of Michael Palmer who's speaking at the National Honey Show this year.

I am always quick to bang the drum about Honeybee Democracy by Tom Seeley.

Good winter read and for those who like to catch swarms

Blog Entries

Greengumbo I agree with you entirely. Not necessarily a book for beekeepers per se, but you'll expand your knowledge about bees immeasurably as a result of reading it.

Two books which I recommend to beginners and to those with a bit of experience.

Sixty Years with Bees - Donald Sims
    Honey Farming - ROB Manley

Can't tell you how much good I've had from those books over the years.

Current reading squeeze -

Background to Bee Breeding - John Atkinson. Hilarious in places and superb info for those interested in the subject.

Celia Davis - both her books are great reading and good swotting material for exams if you're that way inclined.