Thread: Starting up with Langstroth hives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I use Maisemore and/or Thorne's seconds for jumbos at £35 for 50.. Minimal issues. (have to drill holes for wires but not an issue).

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I use Maisemore and/or Thorne's seconds for jumbos at £35 for 50.. Minimal issues. (have to drill holes for wires but not an issue).
    Can't comment on the one as I've not used their seconds, but agree that Thorne's (dadant) seconds are sound enough for the job (although I would feel the need to pay extra and get a decent bottom bar). But if I was going over to langstroth I wouldn't look beyond the ML offering simply because in my oppinion there isn't enough difference in price to not buy their firsts. As for holes, it's a pleasant enough job to drill them but I bet it's even nicer to have them delivered pre-drilled.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Can't comment on the one as I've not used their seconds, but agree that Thorne's (dadant) seconds are sound enough for the job (although I would feel the need to pay extra and get a decent bottom bar). But if I was going over to langstroth I wouldn't look beyond the ML offering simply because in my oppinion there isn't enough difference in price to not buy their firsts. As for holes, it's a pleasant enough job to drill them but I bet it's even nicer to have them delivered pre-drilled.
    I just had an email about their sales this friday so that looks a distinct possibility