Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What next ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Thanks Kate - thank goodness you did not put "sorry for your loss" or RIP as I see on an certain a more southern based bee forum! ...
    But all the hives were treated the same and the others were out flying today, air temp only 4 degrees with all the snow on the hills. The only difference with this colony was that it was super big going into mid October.
    All the more upsetting to lose a "super big" bunch of bees.

Mine were out flying and bringing in pollen today though not quite so cold as with you – 6.5º. Ahhh Spring is unfolding gently!

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    All the more upsetting to lose a "super big" bunch of bees.

Mine were out flying and bringing in pollen today though not quite so cold as with you – 6.5º. Ahhh Spring is unfolding gently!
    No pollen here - even the snowdrops are still closed up. False spring I suspect as we are still to have the annual "lambing storm"

Spring looks set to ... well , spring into action from this weekend with the far north of Scotland being the warmest in the country over the next 10 days. It looks like a fortnight of double figure temps for you, which should get those snowdrops open. Acres of snowdrops by me wasted as they opened just as this cold snap arrived.

Another glorious morning here ... nearly 6º already. We must be benefitting from being on the west coast and near the sea. The snowdrops have been exquisite and are going over now. Crocuses and hellebores are past their best. Greylags feeding in the fields on their way north. Birds calling for mates in the garden. No doubt about Spring!
    And here I am inside at my computer preparing a presentation for a local association!

I'm sunbathing on the East coast Kate

For the first time since I've had bees the snow drops are out when the weather is good so they are taking advantage. I've taken off the mouse guards so they can have a good clean out but I'll put them back on the minute the weather changes. Christmas roses and the few crocus the squirrels haven't robbed are almost stripped of their pollen but it might be a while for anything else starts flowering here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there no hazel round by you Bridget? Hazels are laden with pollen down the strath by us.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Is there no hazel round by you Bridget? Hazels are laden with pollen down the strath by us.
    Wow, I'll have a look but the hazel in our garden hasn't even got decent buds yet. Wait, perhaps it's hawthorn not hazel. I'm rubbish with trees, except birch and pines of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Wow, I'll have a look but the hazel in our garden hasn't even got decent buds yet. Wait, perhaps it's hawthorn not hazel. I'm rubbish with trees, except birch and pines of course.
    Hazel has those lovely catkins which look fluffy and yellow with pollen at the moment. Around us here in the west the alder trees are also flowering well this year ... catkins again.

I have European alder (Alnus incana) in a hedge which flowers in Feb but no signs of the native alder (Alnus glutinosa) which flowers later. I know that "west is best" currently, but do you know if it is glutinosa or incana you have?