Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beekeeping court case

Default always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    The court case concluded.
    Thanks for posting C4U. We all appreciate it will have been a difficult time with the lazy press reporting not helpful to anyone. Your interactions with authorities/SASA have contributed to the development of an excellent unit who support us all. I wish the press would talk about that and
    can't actually think of seeing much good publicity for the SASA folk in the press.

Hopefully you can put this behind you and look forward to the new season.

Blog Entries

You can see how shallow the press are with all the crap about 'Royal Beekeeper' Most of the reporting has managed to get that into the first paragraph.
    None of the UK broadsheets, Independent (RIP) Guardian or Times have any credibility with regard to reporting beekeeping. The Guardian is so bad it makes me question its veracity on anything else it covers and I am a paid up leftie.

Stressful I am sure. Pleased it's reached a conclusion! At what cost I wonder? Onward!

Sorry....its been awfully quiet on here since the New Year breakdown and I did not see your input. Its all concluded and in a very satisfactory manner for me. Would have been better if it had not happened but c'est la vie. Onwards to the new season.......19 weeks until we go to the heather again! Instant panic! 70.000 sheets of wax to fit.......and the wax is still at Thornes.

Blog Entries

I see in this months Irish Beekeeping Magazine "An Beachaire" page 136 there is a Headline "Royal Bad Behaviour!" referring to this case.
    The first line states "A royal beekeeper has admitted giving a banned drug to his honey bees in what is believed to be the first case of its kind in the UK"
    Having followed the proceedings on here and read the statement issued by the gentleman in question. I think they should be corrected, but its not my place to correct them. Then again maybe its none of my business to even comment here. But thought you should know.

Having a low oppinion of the paper-pushers to begin with, this isn't a subject which I'd want to dwell on but I think that it's worth noting the shallow, knee-jerk reactions of so many people on various social media who don't have the sense to do even the most basic research before embarking on their own small minded righteous crusade.

I've personally been aware of the 'OTC/improvemnet' notice for a few years as it's been openly available on the internet; OK, no background information but I'm sure that a private, genuine enquiry to C4u would have received a clear explanation of the situation from his perspective (I personally didn't enquire because, bluntly, I didn't/don't perceive it as being any of my business) my point is that the bones of the information have been available for years but so far as Im aware no one has commented openly....until the press jumped on the 'Royal' angle and turned the whole thing into something that it isn't, at which point all of these beekeepers crept out of the woodwork to jump on the bandwagon. Too many people worrying about what others are doing.
    Last edited by prakel; 02-03-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Having a low oppinion of the paper-pushers to begin with, this isn't a subject which I'd want to dwell on but I think that it's worth noting the shallow, knee-jerk reactions of so many people on various social media who don't have the sense to do even the most basic research before embarking on their own small minded righteous crusade.

I've personally been aware of the 'OTC/improvemnet' notice for a few years as it's been openly available on the internet; OK, no background information but I'm sure that a private, genuine enquiry to C4u would have received a clear explanation of the situation from his perspective (I personally didn't enquire because, bluntly, I didn't/don't perceive it as being any of my business) my point is that the bones of the information have been available for years but so far as Im aware no one has commented openly....until the press jumped on the 'Royal' angle and turned the whole thing into something that it isn't, at which point all of these beekeepers crept out of the woodwork to jump on the bandwagon. Too many people worrying about what others are doing.
    Sitting in my office waiting for the arrival of a bee inspector to check out some queens we are exporting.

Saw this post from prakel appear.

The improvement notice stuff was kicked out at the first hurdle. The whole process was apparently incompetent and riddled with errors. Shame it was apparently left active on the particular website. good thing is that my key clients either were unworried by it all or asked a few basic questions. The whole court case matter seems to have gone to bed, at least in any circles that matter, extremely fast.

We carry on, unfazed and unhindered, as if nothing had ever happened. I got a lot of supportive and encouraging messages, from beekeepers and non beekeepers alike. A warmer reception than I ever expected, and have only locked horns with a couple of people who really did not want any facts to get in the way of their keyboard warrior status, so refused to read the press release, which had been agreed by BOTH sides. I don't visit the Irish place any more...used to years ago...but it seemed to turn into a bit of a loony sanctuary for a while so I just left it and never went back. Whilst neither status sits comfortably with me, far more seem to be treating me as the 'caped crusader' than as the 'master criminal'.

Seriously, the new season is WAY more important.

Blog Entries

Who wrote the "An Beachaire" article GG?
    I'm in the UBKA rather than FIBKA so I don't get the magazine.

Murray - most of the Irish posters are on the Irish Beekeepers Facebook site now. The old Yahoo site has pretty much died a death.

Quote Originally Posted by Calluna4u View Post
    We carry on, unfazed and unhindered................
    Seriously, the new season is WAY more important.
    Isn't that the truth.

I've mentioned before on a different thread that a sports science book which I read as a teenager had a paragraph in it that really 'stuck' with me, it was along these lines:

"If you tell a jogger and a runner to stop or they'll die, the jogger will stop. The runner will go out and do ten miles".

This rule holds good for most things, beekeeping included. We can get on and do it or worry about things which might never happen/aren't relevant.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Who wrote the "An Beachaire" article GG?
    I'm in the UBKA rather than FIBKA so I don't get the magazine.

Murray - most of the Irish posters are on the Irish Beekeepers Facebook site now. The old Yahoo site has pretty much died a death.
    Its on the news and Views page signed by the Publicity Officer FIBKA