Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Varroa Control

Just watch how you are sublimating. If using a 12v pan under an open mesh floor it's worth increasing the amount of OA as a lot will condense onto the wire mesh. Meaning that the bees (or should that be the mites) might not receive the optimal dosage of OA to get a 97% kill rate. It doesn't appear to harm the bees to use more than the 2 (or is it 2.2) gm optimal dosage that everyone seems to have adopted. That was the minimum concentration to give that kill rate, higher doses don't seem to affect the bees but will ensure you are getting enough into your hive to compensate for the stuff that isn't.
    I think it may help explain why some find vaping very successful and others find they still have high varroa loads afterwards.
    Last edited by Thymallus; 16-01-2017 at 07:17 PM.

I think the LASI people used up to 4.5g and there's data on Randy Oliver's site of using 2.8g. There's also a lot of active and reasonably well informed discussion on Beesource (just steer clear of the TF threads which usually make pretty grim reading).

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    No I don't. It's certainly 'good enough' and mite levels have been very low. However, I've done no side-by-side comparisons that would stand any sort of scrutiny.

However, unlike Apiguard, OA (Api-Bioxal etc.) treatment by vaporisation does not seem to stop the queen from laying as it often does with Apiguard. Since treatment usually coincides with the important egg-laying for generating the winter bees I think this is a significant benefit.

The other thing I have to consider is temperature. Having moved to balmy Fife in 2015 the autumn temperatures are sometimes borderline for Apiguard treatment after the summer honey is taken off. I don't currently take my bees to the heather, but once you're into September the likelihood of getting the necessary 15C for Apiguard is much less than it was when I was living in the Midlands.
    Good point about the queen going off-lay. I will do a 3 x sublimation this August.
    What are your thoughts about doing it when feeding? This year it will be fondant instead of syrup.

I've treated when feeding. I only use fondant. No problems as far as I'm aware. I also used to feed when treating with Apiguard.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I think the LASI people used up to 4.5g and there's data on Randy Oliver's site of using 2.8g. There's also a lot of active and reasonably well informed discussion on Beesource (just steer clear of the TF threads which usually make pretty grim reading).
    I've been following the recent glycerine / oxalic acid threads on beesource with interest;
    "25 ml food grade glycerin warmed, 25g of Oxalic mixed til dissolved, soak in per shop towel then press out excess. Each towel should hold 25g treatment, total towel weight of 30g. Place towel ontop bar of hive which will be removed by the bees over 3-4 weeks. "
    Copied from beesource http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...gap-flyswatter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    I've been following the recent glycerine / oxalic acid threads on beesource with interest;
    "25 ml food grade glycerin warmed, 25g of Oxalic mixed til dissolved, soak in per shop towel then press out excess. Each towel should hold 25g treatment, total towel weight of 30g. Place towel ontop bar of hive which will be removed by the bees over 3-4 weeks. "
    Copied from beesource http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...gap-flyswatter
    Yes, the original source used cardboard strips and claimed this worked well. havent tried it as my bees are well OA dosed at the moment but you can bet your life that someone will market this in the UK and sell paper soaked towels with vet approval for big bucks

Quote Originally Posted by busybeephilip View Post
    big bucks
    For sale: the BEST Varroa treatment package based on the miracle of crystal healing. With simple self assembly instructions, enough for 50 treatments. Includes 1 packet of paper towels (surcharge for blue), safety gloves, glycerin, the magical oxalic acid crystals, pure and natural Scottish water.
    Price: £100 plus vat. Must collect. No time wasters.

Probably one well timed oxalic treatment is good enough
    Sugar dusting is messy and attracts wasps and other pests
    I don't think there's a case for using multiple oxalic treatments when there is brood
    That's just the wrong tool at the wrong time

Blog Entries

Has anyone tried Stratiolaelaps scimitus as a means of controling varrora. A predatory mite or Entomopathogenic fungi.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Probably one well timed oxalic treatment is good enough
    Sugar dusting is messy and attracts wasps and other pests
    I don't think there's a case for using multiple oxalic treatments when there is brood
    That's just the wrong tool at the wrong time
    Experience with doing exactly this with vaping in Sept when there is brood present is that it does work and works well. You just need to be sure you are getting the correct levels of vaporized OA to the bees and you need 4 vapes to get the majority of the emerging varroa.
    However, you may be referring to other types of multiple OA treatments in which case ignore this.
    Last edited by Thymallus; 18-01-2017 at 09:01 AM.