Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Colonsay reserve approved!

Hi Gavin

We've had some committee changes in BIBBA and I think you will notice a new and energetic association developing. I must admit that 2 years ago I came close to starting a NWHBS (although I hadn't got as far as dreaming up a name) but I don't think it's necessary now.

Steve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    - -quarterly newsletter distributed to all members with articles on native bee and bee breeding issues
    Just to clarify a little:
    The quarterly newsletter is 'The Four Seasons', originall edited by Claire Chavasse for the Galtee Bee Breeder's Group. This magazine was handed over to the NIHBS by the GBBG.

"but I don't think it's necessary now"

I really, really, really hope so.

S'pose 50 years isn't too long to find your feet eh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruary View Post
    Just to clarify a little:
    The quarterly newsletter is 'The Four Seasons', originall edited by Claire Chavasse for the Galtee Bee Breeder's Group. This magazine was handed over to the NIHBS by the GBBG.
    It's still a trial for a year Ruary.
    I think GBBG will probably be happy for NIHBS to continue with it next year but if not, NIHBS will bring out its own magazine.

It is worth pointing out that the pioneering work of GBBG to improve local stock has helped tremendously as NIHBS was not starting from zero.

The 4 seasons was going out to less than 100 people so the circulation has increased a lot.
    I have been putting some highlights from past issues on the NIHBS website.
    There might even be one of your articles on there!
    Last edited by Jon; 16-10-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefever View Post
    "but I don't think it's necessary now"

I really, really, really hope so.

S'pose 50 years isn't too long to find your feet eh?
    I must accept that criticism but we should not forget the excellent stuff that BIBBA has done in the past. The library of books they produced are invaluable and I suspect that without BIBBA, the plight of the native bee would be even worse. Fortunately I sense a resurgence of interest and activity now and things are looking much better. I think a lot of the criticisms of BIBBA have come from people who don't attend BIBBA's conferences and training or read their books and magazine. They seem to think that BIBBA was set up solely to give them native bees rather than help them with selection and queen rearing.

I've already used up my ration of time for this week. I knew it would happen Gavin. Good job it's pouring down outside.

Steve

Hi Rosie,

I agree. It was BIBBA who assisted us in getting started in bee breeding although the group has now fallen away. Some BIBBA members called in to see us on their way to a SBA conference in Inverness a few years ago and gave advice on wing morphometry and reviewed some of the results we had produced. It was then we discovered we had Amm in our area. I attended a BIBBA run training for trainers course in Warwick for morphometry which was also part paid by BIBBA and following on from discussions at that course a bee breeding weekend workshop was arrange in Scotland by the SBA/BIBBA

The BBC website reports a new initiative whereby an MSP becomes the spokesperson/advocate for the protection and well being of endangered native species in Scotland. I emailed the Scottish Environment LINK trying to find out who spoke up for the native honey bee. The Great Yellow Bumblebee (Dave Stewart MSP), and the solitary bee Andrena Ruficrus (Richard Lyle MSP) have champions but not the native honey bee. I was asked if I wanted to nominate an MSP who might be approached - any ideas? I put the question out there trusting that members of this forum are bound to have names and knowledge of who might or might not be a suitably informed spokesperson with interests in this area and in the past some communications with our elected reps has taken place. So - ideas?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

FD, I like the idea of having an MSP being a 'black bee champion', but I don't have a clue who to suggest - so I looked at a list of MSPs, and as there are so many, I limited myself to the two Green MSPs and out of those two I liked Alison Johnstone's biography - but then noticed that she already supports the brown hare. Perhaps that doesn't matter because I also noticed that David Stewart, who is supporting the Great Yellow Bumblebee, supports two species.

So, I tentatively suggest Alison Johnstone to take on the native bee as a second specie, or David Stewart to take them on as a third specie. Perhaps it would make sense for David to take on the black bee because bumble bees will also be affected by the small hive beetle should it get here. I don't think solitary bees are at risk from the small hive beetle.

Apart from what appears on their biographies, I don't know anything else about my two suggestions.
    Kitta

Do we have any MSP beekeepers ?.

Blog Entries

Here's one bee-sympathetic MSP. Richard Lockhead is another - he opened the Moray apiary.

http://www.peeblesshirenews.com/news...stated-stocks/

Grahame gets busy to help beekeepers restore devastated stocks

Published: 23 May 2013 06:570 comments

THE announcement of a £200,000 fund to help commercial bee farmers prompted a group of individual beekeepers to contact Borders MSP Christine Grahame.

There are around 1,500 individual beekeepers in Scotland who to date have not received government help to restock after severe weather conditions diminished, and in some cases completely wiped out, their colonies.

Representatives from Borders beekeepers contacted Ms Grahame who now has asked Environment Minister Richard Lochhead to step in and help.

She said: "The Scottish Government has pledged £200,000 to help commercial farmers rebuild their hives but some Borders beekeepers don't qualify for funding."

"I have explained to the Minister that these hives are vital to the biodiversity of town and country and I am hoping he will agree to establish a scheme to provide one association per district with a modest grant for the purpose of breeding queens. This would be distributed thereafter to other associations in the district allowing colonies to be replenished by letting nature, and of course, the bees do the rest of the work."

Ms Grahame said: "A small injection of cash could really help these beekeepers restore their stocks. The money could fund artificial insemination of the queens then these queens would be distributed to other associations in the area. This will then guarantee a well mated queen regardless of the weather conditions and could contribute substantially to helping bee preservation."