Page 328 of 414 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338378 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,280 of 4137

Thread: todays news

Blog Entries

Are you still using thymol in spirit, John? I saw that in action and the bees really disliked it. Also not compatible with the honey flow that's about to overwhelm us .

Amitraz is now approved for the UK but the Spanish company with the registration hasn't started selling yet as far as I know. Look out for Apitraz 500 (I think) next year. Until then Apivar is prescription only via Ark Vets unless you are in the BFA or know a friendly vet yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    You missed Wimbledon then Fatshark
    I am not sure about MAQS but it is a possibility
    The main thing though is that if there is no treatment now then there might be losses later
    I use thymol but it can interfere with feeding and can stop wax building in its tracks
    The idea of using oxalic evaporation only works effectively in broodless periods
    You can use multiple treatment with evaporation (3 or 4 treatments 5 days apart)
    That's not practical with a varrox and lots of hives
    Amitraz I think is vet only
    So if it's Thymol then 4 weeks of treatment takes us to mid August and mesh floors need closing
    Sublimox anyone ?

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk
    Mesh floors need closing ??

You don't think so then SDM

Yes Gavin thymol spirit
    They don't like it much but it does work
    I hope you are right about a flow from rosebay and balsam

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Sublimox anyone ?
    Yes, me It's the dogs bits.

However, Varroa isn't my current problem ... it's drone laying workers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post

Queen mating is disastrous ... or non-existent a better description. Queens have generally stopped laying except in the colonies in Strontian which have their generous Spring crops on board.
    I had hardly any queens mate between 10 June and 7 July but had 60-70 start to lay after a couple of good days at the end of last week.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Yes, me It's the dogs bits.

However, Varroa isn't my current problem ... it's drone laying workers
    How does it work is that big box just a case
    I take it you need mains or an inverter To power it
    Why is there no Uk distributor ?

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

The big plastic box is just for storing it and carrying it around. You can fit a few odds and sods in as well - goggles, mask, gloves, a nice big tub of Api-Bioxal (ahem) and a bottle of water for cleaning the pan. It needs 240V ... easiest off the mains but I also have a portable generator (~700W if I remember) for out apiaries.

I'd blame the lack of a UK distributor on Brexit ... but it's more likely the lack of demand. I only know a very few people who have them.

Icko Apiculture provide good service and delivered quickly.

I would argue that the Sublimox would be a good investment for some BKA's ... rather than individuals buying Varrox's or building some sort of DIY contraption a single Sublimox could be used to treat multiple hives in a single day. Apiaries would need to be reasonably close to reduce travelling time of course. Since the hive doesn't need to be opened treatments take 1 minute or less. With little or no fuss you can work out ways to treat any sort of hive ... and as if there isn't a suitable entrance it's easy enough to drill a 6mm hole through the sidewall of the floor to administer the vapour. Like this ...

20150920-80-22.jpg

... vaporiser is inserted inverted (as shown), then turned though 180o to drop the OA into the heated pan. Count to 40 and move on to the next hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I had hardly any queens mate between 10 June and 7 July but had 60-70 start to lay after a couple of good days at the end of last week.
    I think those "good days" missed us! Lovely today though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    I think those "good days" missed us! Lovely today though.
    With the warmer weather , mine have started on lime. Despite raining half yesterday, the hives smelt of lime nectar this am... I have a horrible hive on two supers needing another.. Maybe it's the bottom entrance or their genes?