Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Poly hive musings.

In a word cost.

It is possible to make say three roofs from ply and insulate the top only using say 2" of insulation material for the cost of a poly roof. The insulation value is very similar and if making a deeper roof side then it is frankly a better roof than the off the peg poly as they are terribly skimpy on the side depth.

PH

All of my wooden roofs have full depth of celotex incorpoaretd in them so why waste more money on blow a way roofs.
    Last edited by nellyp; 05-01-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: to much info

Quote Originally Posted by nellyp View Post
    I've got some spare wooden equipment so was thinking of mixing and matching by using traditional cb and roof(insulated) with poly brood and floor.
    I'm not sure if a standard wooden roof will fit a poly box, the profile, or footrpint, is different.

Our roofs are fairly thick metal with a single slab of poly inside, no wood anywhere.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    In a word cost.

It is possible to make say three roofs from ply and insulate the top only using say 2" of insulation material for the cost of a poly roof. The insulation value is very similar and if making a deeper roof side then it is frankly a better roof than the off the peg poly as they are terribly skimpy on the side depth.

PH
    Quote Originally Posted by nellyp View Post
    All of my wooden roofs have full depth of celotex incorpoaretd in them so why waste more money on blow a way roofs.

I don't know about the cost. Perhaps it is cheaper, but I wouldn't want to spend all that time fluffing about making new roofs to fit poly boxes when made-to-fit poly roofs come with the hives. The roofs of the Bee Hive Supplies polys have very generous and sturdy overhangs - but I agree, some of the others have no overhang at all.

But either way - big overhang or not - it doesn't really matter as far as blow-away roofs are concerned because I tie all my hives down - whether wood or poly. Don't you?
    Kitta

Not everyone buys by the "complete hive" apart from my first one I don't think I ever have. All mine have come as parts, and I have made as much as I could, as you do when working on a scale. I have always used bricks on mine, two on poly and one on wooden when I had them not so much as security for the roofs but as information units. A brick can tell a lot of tales if used to do so.

It makes working an apiary much faster if at a glance the problem units can be instantly identified. They then would be worked first.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I'm not sure if a standard wooden roof will fit a poly box, the profile, or footrpint, is different.

Our roofs are fairly thick metal with a single slab of poly inside, no wood anywhere.
    Standard roofs ... either homegrown or from Thornes or other suppliers fit the Swienty/Denrosa poly boxes sold by C Wynne Jones perfectly well (National size at least, which is what I've got). I mix and match cedar, pine and poly with no problems ... with the exception of th MB poly which I'm going to sell this year. These Swienty/Denrosa boxes are 18"/46cm square (external), have flat interfaces and are very strong. Recommended.
    Last edited by fatshark; 06-01-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: I before E except after C, even in Swienty

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Standard roofs ... ... fit the Swienty/Denrosa poly boxes ... These Swienty/Denrosa boxes are 18"/46cm square (external), have flat interfaces and are very strong. Recommended.
    Thanks - I did not realise the outside dimensions of a Swienty are the same as a wooden hive. Maybe somebody has already mentioned it somewhere in this thread, but I've missed it.
    Kitta

Agreed. Of all the poly kit I have tested so far the Swienty is the pick.

I rememver at Craibstone there was a Dadant hive which had a 10" roof which effectively made an outer wall. I have long wondered why roofs are not made deeper for the timber hives at least as a 6" depth of side is far less likely to be sucked off by the wind than a 4 even and for sure than a 2". Cheaper obviously, but not near as useful for us, and surely our needs come first?

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Default Poly hive musings.

I have one cedar and two Swienty poly and mix and match no probs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fortunately I have no need to tie hives down as all are located in sheltered positions also I have done plenty of researching and homework before deciding on Swienty broods as a trial, being the most compatiable in exterior dimensions to wooden nats. The only slight drawback is that only 10 frames can be accomodated. As previously mentioned a great thread which helps to make an informed decision that bit easier.
    Last edited by nellyp; 06-01-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added text