Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ask me anything: Bees

Hello
    Thanks for the reply, my sentiments entirely, sometimes too much medalling is a bad thing( especially for a newbee). The bees worked really well and filled all the frames with honey, (they are Italian Caucasian). I was thinking to change 2 frames in the spring but don't know how to go about it. Right now they are still bringing in some pollen I just hope they hibernate well and are still alive then next worry what can I do to stop them swarming??

Thanks
    S

Blog Entries

As for exchanging frames, just take them out when they are empty (once things are properly underway and in decent beekeeping weather!). If the bees start using them for brood or stores before you get to them (or they never empty them) never mind, just leave them and take them out another time.

Preventing swarming? Books have been written on this! Look out (weekly) for the first signs of queen cells being made (ie queen cups with eggs or larger, usually in May or June) then act. Wise to start with a basic artificial swarm - and leave only either the queen or one queen cell in each split. Watch out for them rapidly making more queen cells and intervene (check within a few days). Bees in a mood to swarm will try to make more cells quickly and depart before they are sealed. If there is only one queen with no Q cells, or one queen cell only, in each unit then they will not swarm.

This is a big topic though. It is wise to read some books.

Quote Originally Posted by castanea View Post
    Hello
    Thanks for the reply, my sentiments entirely, sometimes too much medalling is a bad thing( especially for a newbee). The bees worked really well and filled all the frames with honey, (they are Italian Caucasian). I was thinking to change 2 frames in the spring but don't know how to go about it. Right now they are still bringing in some pollen I just hope they hibernate well and are still alive then next worry what can I do to stop them swarming??

Thanks
    S
    Hi and Welcome

If you have a National hive with long lugs you can fit plastic ends as they are called
    They come in seasons colours like queen marking and that helps keep track of their age
    If you have frames with the short lugs like Smith then they are a nuisance so don't get them
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/12147...s=true&ff13=80

And remember to keep the old manky brood frames for your bait hives (assuming no disease or stores in them).
    Nothing better than freebees

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    And remember to keep the old manky brood frames for your bait hives (assuming no disease or stores in them).
    Nothing better than freebees
    :P
    bait hives are quite illegal in Germany.
    Free bees can also bring with them unwanted side effects....
    If you are going to bait, better have frames with starter strips (in case they are bringing A or EFB with them in their honey stores), and paint the inside with propolis to attract them just as well as an old frame!
    Those are best for getting the fire or bbq going

Hi

Thanks for the welcome and the advise for the lugs. I have a Dadant Hive not sure they will fit, Why a Dadant? simple I live in France.