Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: For readers of Beesource following Stromnessbees outburst

Default I'm only staying up to feed my two caddie lambs and check my last 4 ewes due to lamb.

You lot have a hell of a stamina! Cheers.

Blog Entries

Because legislation based on hunches, guesswork, knee jerk reactions and lies hasn't got a great track record to date?

Even if you exclude direct government legislation I'm still reminded of the great job the media and public did, on their own, about the scare that never was with MMR.

If an organisation like the co-op wants to not use neonicotinoids ats fine by me, lots of beekeeping forums applauded for them. No many asked what they're using in their place though.
    Last edited by Neils; 07-05-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Because legislation based on hunches, guesswork, knee jerk reactions and lies hasn't got a great track record to date?
    If that's the case, I applaud you all. If it's not, may you all rot in your illuminati bunker before you are resurrected to the galactic domination which you crave!!!!!

The caddies are both fine. No new lambs. Sorry about my last little outburst-maybe a touch of a virus I picked up...

It seems shepherds have even more stamina than shills. Must be the euro subsidies. night night.......

A fine night/ dawn. Great big moon, sun to the north. Don't need the torch. Couldn't think of a better place to be.The bees should be kicking off fairly soon, so long as it doesn't start snowing again. I don't really have a big point to this post, except to say that with great music on Spotify, a nearly- watertight caravan on the west coast of Orkney,only a few to go on lambing and the Highlands about to start calving, what could be nicer? Any answers?

Default old dogs can learn new tricks

A long time ago, I used to breed pedigree Suffolk sheep. We fed them muesli and alfafa, wormed them every 3 weeks, as recommended, gave them all multivaccines, saved every last lamb.I became a Suffolk judge. The breed altered over time. Females became more like the males we were trying to sell. Lambing time was awful: very few ewes were able to give birth and rear their young without assistance.
    This may not seem apposite; but if you have a persistent pressure on an animal, like Cruft's dogs, something unnatural is bound to result. If every seed and plant is treated with even low-level poison,there's going to be an effect.It's not likely to be good.
    With my sheep, I now work with a more resilient breed, try and provide clean grazing,only give pharma stuff when absolutely required (FEC testing etc).
    For several years now my flock is doing well. It takes care and thought.
    Please give the same attention to your bees.
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 07-05-2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling mistake---sorry/ a bit tired.

Blog Entries

Maybe I need to start using chandler's approach and start threatening libel/defamation suits around the continued use of "shill" in this thread, it's both a lie and insulting.

You might get away with it on biobees where a good conspiracy won't be held back by simple things like facts, but I don't expect its adding any weight to your position here.

I'm starting to get a little tired of being told what I think and that I'm paid to think that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnthefarmer View Post
    With my sheep, I now work with a more resilient breed, try and provide clean grazing,only give pharma stuff when absolutely required (FEC testing etc).
    For several years now my flock is doing well. It takes care and thought.
    Please give the same attention to your bees.
    John - that is almost identical to the line I take with my beekeeping. For my own bees, I've gone back to a regular winter Varroa treatment with oxalic for now (is that organic? I don't care!) but tried and will return to a no-treatment or low-treatment approach. Selecting resilient stock appropriate for the locality is one of the main reasons I set up our local association apiary - and even setting up this forum was something I was driven to do after seeing poor advice to a Wester Ross beekeeper on an English forum to buy imported stock. I took the suggestion to the SBA Executive to set this up and they agreed. Now I see it being used by Doris to push a line without her properly stepping back to assess the truth of the situation, and I'm never going to let that pass without challenge.

Your analogy with crops treated with insecticides doesn't hold - the varieties grown by the farmer are not going to evolve in his (or her) hands.

Good luck with the lambing.

Gavin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    So another topic, top bar hives - ignoring more than a hundred years of progress in beekeeping, or the future ?
    Neither. They're a box that bees live in, they have their advantages and disadvantages same as any other box that bees live in.

Next