Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: New research on colony collapse disorder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    What if I make the point that it's a 10 year old documentary reporting largely on stuff that happened 10 years before that i.e. its reporting on things nearly 20 years ago?
    ... Then you lose all credibility.
    Just because something happened 10 years ago it hasn't lost any of it's validity.

The preposterous claim that at 'field relevant levels neonics cannot harm bees' is shown to be bogus in part one of this docu, just scroll to 7:00:
    If you cannot handle all of part one at once, just watch those bees dying while collecting on sunflowers, dying from 'field relevant levels'.

Blog Entries

Some of us read the science in the published journals.
    Others prefer to take their information from journalists, tv documentaries, internet warriors and you tube. Each to their own.

Some people still believe bee problems are caused by cell phones or phone masts and you can find evidence all over the internet about this.
    Is it true?
    No I don't think so.

Blog Entries

And I'm done here. You suggested the documentary, if I'm not "credible" for pointing out that the film itself is 10 years old that's fine, but we've nothing to discuss on this matter.

If I had the choice you'd be going on my ignore list.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post

If I had the choice you'd be going on my ignore list.
    Of course that's what you would like to do, ignore me, because what I am pointing out here is very uncomfortable to you and if you would spend those 15 minutes to watch even just part one of this docu you would have to revise your pro pesticide attitude and admit that neonics are the cause of CCD and many other colony failures, even in the UK.

Blog Entries

It's only 'uncomfortable' because you choose to make it so. You don't want a discussion, you want everyone to agree with you and when they don't you attack the person rather than the opinion they've put forward or make any attempt to answer any of the points raised.

That's why I'm choosing to opt out of these threads, been there done that, got the T-shirt. Perhaps this is new territory for you and it's all exciting and you've got the bit between your teeth and you're eager to start crusading. Go for it gal, have a great time doing it, but I'm not playing any more.

Perhaps bio bees is where you need to be posting this stuff, they'll agree with you with no argument, just what you want right?

Doris - people don't want to ignore you because you're in the right and they don't want to face "the facts". They want to ignore you because you are going on and on and on about one issue. You are getting on people's t*ts Doris. And I see you are trying your tactics out now on the Irish Beekeeping list.

I am not an apologist for the pesticide industry (I don't think anyone else here is either) but you need to let it lie.

Blog Entries

Its like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, poo on the board, and strut around like it's victorious.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    Its like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, poo on the board, and strut around like it's victorious.
    Calum, you are not adressing the evidence I presented, which is bees dying in the field from a neonicotinoid pesticide.
    Instead you are trying to undermine my credibility, a so called 'ad hominem attack', which is part of strategy 2, as I explained earlier.

In reality you have nothing to counter the evidence I presented. To use your own analogy: you are checkmate, but you refuse to acknowledge it, it's you who is knocking over the pieces out of desperation.

The real tragedy however is, that this is not a game of chess.
    This is the sad reality that our bees are facing, with massive repercussions on our environment and on our own health.

If you have any shred of decency left then look at the evidence and face the terrible truth.
    Last edited by Stromnessbees; 25-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi Doris,
    the problem is that at this time the bees are not dying in the fields. CCD remians an american problem, it does not suprise me at all that they have an issue.
    In your own submission of evidences there are big big holes, in the austrian study they decetcted use of illegal pesticides, thats why they are illegal. neonicotinoid pesticides can cause issues especially if the seed is not propely coated, but so many things are not great for the world that we do, using toilet paper destroys forests, driving cars, and so on. Going pesticide free is not going to happen either.

Blog Entries

Calum. Dying in the fields? Colony numbers have increased massively in the UK, up from 40,000 colonies to something like 140,000 in about 3 years.
    Beekeeping is a fashionable hobby at the moment and some of that success will be the influx of new beekeepers but nonetheless it is something to be celebrated.
    Like you say, it is the US having problems but the UK in particular seems to be doing rather well. I only lost a nuc out of about 20 colonies I had in the Autumn and I overwintered 4 apideas as well. How could that have happened when I had acres of oil seed rape just a few hundred yards from my apiary. That is an uncomfortable fact for the sky is falling brigade. They use all the same neonicotinoid pesticides here so that would tend to suggest that they are not causing huge problems. Some of the problems in the US may be due to different forms of application such as soil injection of pesticides or foliar sprays.