Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So, about this restocking .......

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Has everyone out there been sleeping? Our saviour is down south and it’s the Cornish black bee. I still think they look a bit to yellow for my liking. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23298530

Blog Entries

LOL at that and the dark ones look far more like Carnica than AMM with the wide gray bands.

They had a feature on the Varroa resistant Amm in Cornwall at 6:55 on Radio 5 this morning. Utter garbage. Their reporter was from somewhere near me in the Midlands (Steve?) who came up with some gems about this being the long lost Amm, found nowhere else, that Varroa was everywhere in the UK etc. etc. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Where is the evidence that these bees are really Amm or Varroa resistant (surely too much to ask for two miracles in one day)?

Blog Entries

You do not need morphomety or DNA microsatellite data to categorically state that those bees are definitely not AMM,
    They look more like a cross between Buckfast and Carnica.

Default So, about this restocking .......

I'm with you on the identity ... but never trust the pics used by the BBC. It wouldn't have surprised me to see a picture of a red mason bee illustrating the story ...

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Maybe a bit harsh on Gscot DB. He's maybe not to know all the background of which you and many others on the forum are aware. Nice summary of what Bro Adam did with Buckies btw!
    Drumgerry, there was absolutely no offence whatever meant and if I have caused any, I offer my sincerest apologies. I may have misread Gscot's posts - I assumed he was being satirical and joined in, but unfortunately I am not Dean Swift.

I think the satire, if there was any, was unintended DB. I had read it as a sincere if misguided opinion. But never mind....maybe I missed the point. Wouldn't be the first time. I maybe need to get more practiced at the banter eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    Drumgerry, there was absolutely no offence whatever meant and if I have caused any, I offer my sincerest apologies. I may have misread Gscot's posts - I assumed he was being satirical and joined in, but unfortunately I am not Dean Swift.
    Got me again DB who is Dean Swift ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Got me again DB who is Dean Swift ?
    DR, he is also known as Jonathan Swift, I refrained from using that version of his name to avoid the perfectly understandable confusion with our own Jon - also a man of letters.
    Jonathan Swift was the Dean of Trinity College Dublin, one of the worlds great universities. He was the author of such satirical works as; "Gullivers Travels" and "The Tale of a Tub". He is regarded as a master of satire.
    Last edited by Dark Bee; 14-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Bee View Post
    Jon - also a man of letters.
    Just 3 of them, J O N.