Page 387 of 414 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 4137

Thread: todays news

You can see a small cluster of bees between the top two supers. I had forgotten about this... the white painted one was a second hand unit that was given to me and had some rot in the corner so bees found their way in and out. I am not sure if the box was painted that then caused the rot as the wood couldn't breathe or if it was a bit grotty and someone painted it to tidy it up.

My homemade solar wax extractor performing well in the sunshine! A steeper angle improved effectiveness very much. Lovely clean creamy yellow wax with a gorgeous smell. Chuffed to bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Default Dirty stop outs ...

Got a reasonable swarm in a bait hive yesterday at 3pm. I couldn't leave it where it is so was up at the apiary at 7am to stuff the entrance and move them elsewhere. It's was cool and cloudy and there was no entrance activity. I put another bait hive in the same spot ...

On checking the apiary this evening there was quite a lot of entrance activity and pollen clearly going in. However, on further checking, it wasn't another swarm that had moved in - the box had a few dozen bees in at most - so these must have been stragglers that stayed out overnight and then returned to find the original colony gone. About 25% of the bees are carrying pollen.

I know bees stay out overnight sometimes. However, I was surprised so many did when the colony had only relocated to the spot a few hours before the end of the previous day.

Various good bee plants in my garden are being ignored by my bees - this time last year they were covered. Main ones being caenothus and fuschia, the latter I know is a bit awkward for bees. Confirmation that there are plenty of better offerings elsewhere? Plenty of willowherb around, which is covered in bees. Maybe yields better in the warmth.

Also - is it me or are the wasps into their sugar feeding phase much earlier than normal this year?

Ceanothus usually gets a few bees on it in my garden. Blakcberry is still flowering at the moment although I expect that it will finish soon. Just starting to extract it - the top 2 supers have a clearer board under them. WP_20180713_19_41_56_Pro.jpg

Yes same here - busy on blackberries too. I also have newly made up nucs which are largely ignoring the feeder.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Wake up and smell the CLOVER!!!
    That’s what the bees at my Summer apiary are doing at the moment. The clover has reached its peak and I can’t remember the last time it was this good. It’s my main honey crop here. The fields are full of sown white and there’s plenty of wild about as well, my bees are working both. While I was checking hives at 7 pm tonight the bees were still piling in and most of the spare cells in the brood combs were full of nectar. After the silage is cut we can sometimes get a good second growth. I hoping the weather holds for a few more weeks and if I get a couple of supers per hive I’ll be absolutely delighted (this is Orkney l’m writing about not the balmy south).
    Last edited by lindsay s; 18-07-2018 at 11:11 PM.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

We've had tremendous clover this year in the highlands. It's gone on and on. Do you mean if it's cut it will bloom again? I stopped my husband from cutting it so the bees could have it. Maybe I should have got him to cut it in sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Do you mean if it's cut it will bloom again? I stopped my husband from cutting it so the bees could have it. Maybe I should have got him to cut it in sections.
    It does Bridget yes. A hay field next to me was full of flowering clover, cut on 24 June, white again by 10 July - and probably better in fact since the grass is now shorter.

Doing it in sections would be ideal if you don't mind the faff.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    It does Bridget yes. A hay field next to me was full of flowering clover, cut on 24 June, white again by 10 July - and probably better in fact since the grass is now shorter.

Doing it in sections would be ideal if you don't mind the faff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro