Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Q rearing by numbers

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    ...the deeper (than mini-plus) frames allow the bees to organize themselves really well for the months ahead.
    Are they half National brood frames, Prakel? Sorry if I'm asking you to repeat information if you've already told us.

Kitta

MC, they're based on the mini plus frame -same 10" top bar but are three inches deeper. We chose the top bar length so that we could maintain some level of compatibility with our existing mp kit. The mp combs tend to get get laid out to the top bar by a young queen while these deeper ones usually have an inch of honey at the top. The original idea came after needing to feed mp's in an August dearth a few years ago (that inch of honey makes a lot of difference). A knock on benefit has been that they've proven excellent for wintering on a single box too (remembering that they're only OSB3 with a slab of kingspan on top instead of a fancy roof).

edit:

142.jpg

example of the poly roofs (these are bs nucs).

015.jpg

OSB3 box, mid March. Showing mini-plus frames mixed with our deeper ones; we just let them build comb from the bottom bars of the shorter frames. Only five frames for winter, summer we can fit 6 to a box, it's slightly tight but keeps the combs nice. This time of year when the last ones are being started we reduce to 5 so that the honey arc can be built out. Again, good for wintering but I'm giving far too much away now!
    Last edited by prakel; 07-08-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks prakel - interesting - also your aquatic beekeeping!
    Kitta

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    also your aquatic beekeeping!
    That site is presently being quarried out (they do say that the locals love their island so much that they can't stop sending bits of it around the world!). We've now set up a site a couple of hundred yards away -much nicer actually.

Damp can contribute to chalk brood I am told
    they look like very decorative stepping stones

Blog Entries

Thats are really interesting site Icko. tks

It is Greengage especially if you click on French Flag at the top That gets the info in French
    then choose the UK flag only to get a cut down version of the French presumably meant to be a translation
    The Rossetta Stone would be handy

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Thats are really interesting site Icko. tks
    What site is this ? French is my fav. language. I'll tell you if there's any difference.

Catching up with our Amm rearing in Ardnamurchan: the new queens from Colonsay are all laying and/so I didn't miss any Q cells started in the nucs which were made up 2 days ahead! AND we finally have a good crop of queen cells after grafting and copious feeding of two queenless colonies. Seems I hadn't been feeding enough earlier, with the bees almost "running on empty" this year.

NOW the cells are incubating but 1/3 of them were cut out of brace comb built between them. I was careful not to cut too close so the pupae are fully covered with wax but the cells are not well finished in the usual way ... thin in places. Are they likely to be okay or damaged by their earlier entombment in wax?
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 15-08-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Blog Entries

They should be ok Kate. The bees often build brace comb around the cells in the cell bar. I cut away as much as I can then push the roller carefully over the cell. The cells look rough but the queen usually emerges in the normal way.