Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
Is it true that in Germany they only check honey for heavy metals and if none are traced then it can be sold as organic?
I doubt that very much. I think the word "organic" is used in the sense that no artificial fertilizers or pesticides, no GM crops, no antibiotics etc are applied. Its not used in the organic (based on carbon) chemistry sense. Even then the only agents used, that deliberately include heavy metals are things like wood preservative paints and anti fouling agents.

Not sure what the legislation is re assigning a foodstuff as organic and with bees then I imagine it can be complicated.

Plants have mechanisms to cope with the presence of heavy metals, to mop up and store - so vegetables grown in heavy metal contaminated soils could be problematic. I cannot see how heavy metals could get into nectar, given my rudimentary understanding of how nectar is made and secreted - but would be interested to hear from someone who knows more about this.

Contaminated water is a possible source of metals getting into the hive - or honey stored in a lead container!
Propolis as a source of heavy metals? Don't know.

My main worry is the lead in the brace of grouse I was gifted by a gamekeeper in return for honey.