Thread: Scottish Native Honeybee Society

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Good luck to all involved with the organisation of the inaugural meeting tomorrow.

Coverage on the Beeb today ...
    Looking forward to the launch tomorrow

PS Disappointed by the small size of Scottish honey bee colonies ... only 10,000 according to the figure legend on the BBC.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Gavin on the BBC iplayer scroll to 19:20 you'll need to be quick it expires 2pm 1/4/17.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...-news-31032017
    Here's a new link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39466380
    Last edited by lindsay s; 01-04-2017 at 10:56 PM.

Blog Entries

How did your meeting go I am just curious. Was there enthusiasm for setting it up and were there any objections.

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    How did your meeting go I am just curious. Was there enthusiasm for setting it up and were there any objections.
    I am sure a larger report will be posted here soon but in the meantime....

Membership stands at about 105 so far and 75 of them made the trip to the launch day

It went really well and I think it was a great start for the fledgling society. I was actually surprised at the consensus and the level of commitment of folk attending. I think the biggest disagreement was if "chair" or "president" is the better title !

Lots of skillful beekeepers and queen rearing chat as well and a fantastic series of talks including by Director of Science at the RZSS, Iain Valentine, comparing bees with panda conservation.

All in all a good start - some lovely letters of support from BIBBA, NIHBS, Morna Stoakley and member 101 - Prof Tom Seeley !
    Last edited by gavin; 04-04-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Well done that means there will probably be lots of chatter on here. I know Jon is on here from NIHBS but there is no forum on line that I am aware of where people gossip about beekeeping over here. Except for Facebook but its not great for sensible info.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greengage View Post
    Well done that means there will probably be lots of chatter on here. I know Jon is on here from NIHBS but there is no forum on line that I am aware of where people gossip about beekeeping over here. Except for Facebook but its not great for sensible info.
    I think that we've simply been too busy for much chatter yet, and there has been a need for quite a bit of private chatter too. Plus perhaps a reticence to use an SBA forum for the business of a non-SBA (but SBA-friendly) society.

However, GG (other GG) was right. It went very well. Loads of interest, great enthusiasm, just the right attitude. The collaborative decision making seemed to go OK, we have an excellent young volunteer to be secretary, and the speakers were excellent. Shouldn't be long now until we get the barriers put up and can force everyone to keep only Amm (just a wee tease there for C4U ....). No, there was a mature attitude to these issues expressed from the floor and no-one arguing against. The big issues are the availability of stock, locating the remaining (genetically) unpolluted reservoirs of native bee genetics, agreeing just what constitutes a native honey bee (and whether we have to call them Black Bees), and, most importantly of all, as GG said, whether the corpulent guy with the bow tie should be called President or Chair.

As far as Irish bee babbles goes, other than Facebook the (Yahoo) Irish List was one of the better ones in its day but it has fallen into disuse.

Here are a couple of pics from Ewan's Twitter feed, https://twitter.com/snhbsociety