Thread: Scottish Government report on the 'Restocking Options' study

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Many thanks to everyone who helped in one way or another with this. The report was published earlier on the Scottish Government's web site. Link at the bottom of this page.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/farmingru...e/bee/strategy

Happy to have some discussion here if you like. There should be a lot to mull over. Weather data and queen mating in Scotland. Routes to achieving greater sustainability in bee stocks. Cross-community collaboration. The data presented on the preferences of the two communities.

cheers

Gavin
    Thanks for guiding me through your report at the weekend Gavin. As you say, much to mull over. I was pleased to hear about the preferences you identified among non-commercial beekeepers for locally bred queens and an avoidance of imports.

It's left me eager to understand more precisely the conditions in which our Amm queens will fly and mate. Clearly they don't wait for 20º and the sunshine often quoted as essential (as almost no queens would be mated here). There may be nothing for it but to create a weather station in Ardnamurchan though I know nothing about these. Davis equipment may be the place to start if we can find some funding?

Any experience of this amongst you folk out there?
    Last edited by Kate Atchley; 30-03-2016 at 04:44 PM.