Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid Pan Evaporator 12 Volt

Small set of scales like a scales, the tiny pocket size should only cost about 7 quid. I would put a container on, tare it and measure it out. If you need to be really accurate a balance might be better.

Cheap:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201435360050

More accurate - more expensive:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTM-Mini-Dig...771?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alclosier; 17-12-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alclosier View Post
    Small set of scales like a scales, the tiny pocket size should only cost about 7 quid. I would put a container on, tare it and measure it out. If you need to be really accurate a balance might be better.

Cheap:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/201435360050

More accurate - more expensive:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTM-Mini-Dig...771?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
    Hi thanks for the reply, was thinking more along the lines of a small scoop that would measure it for me!!

I have a set of kitchen scales. Digtital.
    And a plastic spoon.
    Weighed out 2g of OA onto another spoon.
    Transferred to plastic spoon.
    Levelled OA.
    Marked height of OA..on spoon.

Job done: just fill spoon to marked height..

(as bees are very tolerant of sublimation , a little over/under weighing is irrelevant).

I don't do on site difficult things like measuring..KISS.

Quote Originally Posted by gwizzie View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply, was thinking more along the lines of a small scoop that would measure it for me!!
    The small end of this measuring spoon (2.5ml), when filled level, holds about 1. 5g OA crystals. So we're talking small quantities.

I weighed out 3g using my digital kitchen scales and played around with that quantity to establish the 1g measure on the wee spoon, then measured on site using that spoon, varying the quantity depending on colony size.

IMG_0330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by madasafish View Post
    I have a set of kitchen scales. Digtital.
    And a plastic spoon.
    Weighed out 2g of OA onto another spoon.
    Transferred to plastic spoon.
    Levelled OA.
    Marked height of OA..on spoon.

Job done: just fill spoon to marked height..

(as bees are very tolerant of sublimation , a little over/under weighing is irrelevant).

I don't do on site difficult things like measuring..KISS.
    Thanks for the reply makes sense, I thought it was 1g per supper (bugger ment Hive) ? LOL
    Last edited by gwizzie; 18-12-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Atchley View Post
    The small end of this measuring spoon (2.5ml), when filled level, holds about 1. 5g OA crystals. So we're talking small quantities.

I weighed out 3g using my digital kitchen scales and played around with that quantity to establish the 1g measure on the wee spoon, then measured on site using that spoon, varying the quantity depending on colony size.

IMG_0330.jpg
    Hi Kate, again thanks for the reply and the wee pic I have ordered everything but they will take time to get here, especially at this time of the year SO just as a backup I have ordered some 500ml Oxalic Acid Solution and empty 'trickle bottle' from ebay. This will allow me to treat the hives, this will then give me time to make the lower tray for the ploys that I have.

I thought it was 1g per supper ?
    The dosage is 1 - 3g per colony, depending on size. None of mine, out here in the wilds, are 3g-colonies I reckon!

Well none of my stuff arrived to try this out still in santa's bag somewhere!!!
    So today I decided that because it was a lot colder here only 1deg at the house, I knew it would be colder at my apiary and it was -1 due to having some time and the weather I took the opportunity to treat them with OA drizzle and then giving them their candy. On treating the bees there are a few things that I observed,,,

1: My back is not going to stand up to being bent over the hive to drizzle more than my 6 hives. (bad back) So therefore the wife has told me to get a sublimox vaporiser
    55a8c4a11c9c1_Sublimoxboite.jpg
    Yes I hear you say that's a lot of money for just 6 hives BUT I don't intend to stay at 6 hives and my health comes 1st she tells me.. So saving time ££

2: The bees in the poly hive's are doing VERY VERY well loads of bees but wooden hives don't look to be doing so well ? Yes I know it's early yet but time will tell....

I have just ordered 6 more paynes nukes and feeder for 2016 ready for splits/swarms and bee packages !
    Last edited by gwizzie; 27-12-2015 at 02:30 PM.

Graham you are nuts
    But in a good way

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Hard to work out whether you are kidding or not. I often deliver the trickling as a squirt from standing upright (depending on hive stand height). Much kinder on the back compared to lugging car batteries and whatnot then bending down to shove stuff in the entrance of hives and holding it there awhile.

I have just ordered 6 more paynes nukes and feeder for 2016 ready for splits/swarms and bee packages !
    Where would the packages be from if you went down that route?