Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Hive Beetle in mainland Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Why should there be any compensation for the destruction of colonies? Is there any EU compensation when colonies with AFB are destroyed? What about the damage caused by Varroa to millions of colonies across the EU - any compensation for die offs? If it were another kind of livestock (pigs/cows/sheep chickens) there would be lots of compensation and concern - but as it is only a load of stupid bees and beekeepers just write it off.
    As any dam fule nose, beekeepers r all wel2do types who can take the hit anywaees
    Last edited by mbc; 24-10-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Its a Friday night. Poor Dunc (OK if I call you Dunc?) has probably been on the sauce, we should forgive him his confusion.

Morning All,
    The only sauce I had yesterday was HP on my bacon! I'm not confused at all. Throughout the EU the policy if AFB is found is to burn the hives - correct? No compensation from the state at all is there? So why should there be any for SHB destruction?
    IF I'm wrong on this, please do correct me.

I can see sense in offering an early day compensation payment to try and stop SHB getting a foothold in new countries (although I daresay that even then we'd have fools trying to take advantage by shipping in SHB) but once they're established then I agree, no payment can be expected -with the possible exception of forward thinking Scotland where we've already seen bee-farmers getting (sometimes) what amounts to cold-weather payments

Morning All,
    The only sauce I had yesterday was HP on my bacon! I'm not confused at all. Throughout the EU the policy if AFB is found is to burn the hives - correct? No compensation from the state at all is there? So why should there be any for SHB destruction?
    IF I'm wrong on this, please do correct me.
    You're wrong. At least some departments in France shook swarm afb.
    There should be compo for shb to avoid beekeepers hiding infected colonies and diminishing the chances of eradicating it.

The shook swarm method is not 100% sure. Other forms of livestock get more than adequate compensation when they are destroyed because of disease. Beekeepers rarely get compensation. Maybe it is a case of if the baby cries loud enough and long enough that someone will eventually feed it to shut it up.

Maybe it is a case of if the baby cries loud enough and long enough that someone will eventually feed it to shut it up.
    I think that we should be careful what we wish for. There're never going to be ongoing payments for destroying colonies if SHB get a foothold because culling will have to be stopped and we'll then be left to manage our bees and deal with the beetles as we go. But, what we will be left with is the extra level of bureaucracy that's guaranteed to come with a compensation scheme.

Yes I agree - apply for a grant/subsidy and get ready to supply 200 sheets of paper all properly signed stamped and authenticated. Best to also have an accountant and lawyer with you.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I think that we should be careful what we wish for.
    I fervently wish that no compo for shb will be necessary

Whatever we think about subsidies the current system seems to be failing as of the 48 known instances of SHB only one was reported by its owner. There is a large area in the centre of the outbreak where every single apiary is affected and some with beetles of all stages.

On a slightly different tack why are the BBKA members tolerant of the idiotic BBKA stance?