Thread: Out with the camouflage paint ...

Default Out with the camouflage paint ...

I see in the news that the Americans have just changed their rules on satellite imagery, and that from now on Google et al will be able to access and display higher resolution images: objects of 30 cm. now being discernible.

What's the bl##dy point in planting hedges around your property to provide the security of privacy, when miscreants can simple use Google to search overhead for beehives in remote locations, or for those nearer to home offering 'easy pickings' ?

"Google - providing a service to villains and their apprentices since 2007"

LJ

Which is why my hives are on grass and brown/green/grey in colour... or beside trees or hedges...

Swedish Army camo net (Evilbay) cut down to a suitable size & silicon (sticks like S**t is good for this) to the rock /brick/ other heavy object of your choice
    Rock then placed on hive roof to hold down & lifts away for inspection
    Stealth hive

I think those at most risk are beekeepers who have large numbers of mating NUCs out - after all, it's desirable for those boxes to be highly visible from the air so that the newly-mated queens can find their way back easily. Camouflaging them would presumably be a no-no.

Maybe a bee-shed is one answer ? Disguising them as chicken coops might be another ...