Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
Who could be more deserving than bee farmers ?
All the not so hidden benefits of having robust pollinator populations make bee farming the most deserving of all occupations to subsidise IMHO.
Hi mbc
One thing about subsidy is that it is given to the existing operators and would not encourage new entrants just shut them out
I'm not convinced by the pollination argument because as I have said before the commercial bees spend most of their time collecting honey.
Oil seed rape is already subsidised farmers are getting that money, so if pollination service is helpful to this wind pollinated crop then perhaps they can give some to the bee farmer.
Heather plants live for 30 years plus they don't need pollination services
The things that do need pollinating like fruit are ignored by honeybees if there is a better nectar source around and the growers are already prepared to pay for pollination services.
Of course in our climate the soft fruit is moving under plastic and better pollinaters like bumble bees take care of that end of things
So that brings me to is there a case for subsidy because Beekeeping can only survive with subsidy and I think that's a no there are thousands of beekeepers in the UK
Is beekeeping a major employer in the UK -no it's seasonal work for migrant workers mostly
Is the product of the activity essential to our well being again no there is no case here
The best route for a commercial beekeeping sector to become profitable is rationalisation then which means fewer and bigger operations with greater efficiency
Sadly that brings us back to closing the door on any new entrants to professional or semi professional beekeeping
The truth is that the British climate is not one where people can expect to make a living from a seasonal activity like beekeeping
At some point the BFA are going to tell one porky pie too many about the demise of the honey bee and the collapse of civilisation as we know it
In the end calling "wolf" every five minutes is counter productive as I have said before and there may be backlash
Long Long post sorry