Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pollen available?

Blog Entries

I use nektapoll sometimes and the bees seem to love it but the pollen content is actually very low. I think it is only a few percent.

Hmm I thought as much. I'm surprised nobody has a pollen trap and a big stash of pollen in the freezer for use in the spring. I've thought about harvesting a bit of pollen for a couple of years, I guess I'll have to get onto it now.

I've never trapped pollen mainly because I don't see the need. There's no shortage of pollen available to the bees in a normal Spring (still hoping this one turns into one of those!) and I'm not trying to accelerate my colonies buildup for OSR. Not sure I'd be looking to buy any from other beekeepers as well. That's in the same league as giving honey to your bees from outwith your own apiary ie a disease risk

Saxonbee have it ... 3kg for 108 australian dollars ... but the postage is crippling ;-)

I wouldn't let any of that near my bees!

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    I've never trapped pollen mainly because I don't see the need. There's no shortage of pollen available to the bees in a normal Spring (still hoping this one turns into one of those!) and I'm not trying to accelerate my colonies buildup for OSR. Not sure I'd be looking to buy any from other beekeepers as well. That's in the same league as giving honey to your bees from outwith your own apiary ie a disease risk
    Its not for my bees though its for bumble bee rearing.

I used to obtain pollen that was irradiated from a Bee Farmer that I know well, but he no longer gets it and for that matter no longer uses pollen patties as he says that over some 15 years now the not feeding of it as far as he can tell makes no odds to the performance in Spring, so I no longer bother either esp as I cannot source the pollen myself. It was ex Spain as I recall.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by beesinthezoo View Post
    Its not for my bees though its for bumble bee rearing.
    Sorry I re-read the thread and saw that. Must have missed it the first time round!