Thread: The Rose method of queen rearing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No, the rationale is striving for perfection, and only settling for excellence, or some such my old woodwork teacher used to tell me anyway, wish I'd taken more notice at the time now, a very wise man who has since passed away.

Page 18, contemporary queen rearing by Harry H. Laidlaw Jr.
    Feeding of larvae
    "Since food is the critical element in the determination of the queen caste and in the development of this caste to its full potential, we must design our cell building operation so that all larvae that are to become queens are fed abundantly with proper food from the time they hatch from the egg until they finish eating in the sealed cell."

Page 31, breeding super bees by Steve Taber
    "Whatever method or technique is used, the first few hours starting the newly grafted queen cells are probably the most critical for developing large, well fed adult queen bees".

Page 12, queen bee: biology, rearing and breeding by David Woodward
    1.4 caste determination
    "By contrast, larvae developing in queen cells are fed royal jelly in copious amounts. During the first three days the royal jelly fed to these larvae is produced from nurse bee secretions of the mandibular glands only."

Page 75, bee sex essentials by Lawrence John Connor
    "Absolutely anything that interferes with the development of the queen and her eventual size will interfere with the size of the queen, the number of her ovarioles, and even the size of her spermatheca."

I'll leave it there as I'm just boasting about my library.
    Last edited by mbc; 26-10-2014 at 05:09 PM.