Do the queen rearers amongst us do anything special to maintain drones in their apiary as the season declines?

Bees around here have been throwing out drones for weeks and many colonies don't have any left. A fortnight ago I shook out a drone layer and was impressed by the number therein at a time when the last few were being harassed by workers elsewhere. That was the association apiary where we're not doing queen raising this year.

Last Sunday I was at our isolated mating site and saw just a few drones in the couple of drone producing colonies there, and they weren't looking welcome. However yesterday I heard from our collaborators on the site that their colonies still had lots of drones and so I've gone from pessimism about the chances for the current queens in Apideas and in cell raising colonies back to guarded optimism again. Their colonies include a queen raiser.

So what do folk do in seasons like this to maintain their drones? Avoid the issue by shortening the queen raising season? Keep feeding? Q-less cell raising on site? Deliberately leave queenless hives on site to provide drone hostels?