In lieu of doing a 'proper' course or attempting the BBKA/SBA module on it, does anyone have any good links for some reading material around how to best use the things and/or prepare slides?

If there are also answers seemingly to simple questions like what's the difference between my compound and stereo microscope, even better. Brunel helpfully tells me that the laws of physics prevent one microscope being used for both functions, but what laws and why?

I have a x100 objective [lens?] supplied with mine, which apparently requires some sort of oil that wasn't supplied, I'll chase up the suppliers next week to actually get hold of some, but it's pretty vague as to why I need to use this oil or what it is so I can get hold of some myself, I assume it's something to do with light refraction.

I was thinking a blob of honey might make a good first sample slide, and I dare say if it will stop raining long enough to get the hives a couple of dead bees will give ample things to look at to get the hang of things.

Other than the microscopes and slides I don't currently have any other gadgets/tools. A scalpel would seem to be an obvious other thing to obtain, but what else should I have around for when I start to try and play with them in anger?