Thread: Drone Mapping Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Drone Mapping Project

Hi,
    I had an idea that it might be fun to photograph drones from all over Scotland and place them on a map.
    Frivolous really and flawed because all the photos would be in different light conditions cameras, resolutions etc.

However that then gave me a better idea
    How about collecting a specimen drone from each hive in Scotland and storing them by the year of collection and mapping their characteristics and eventually DNA

Stick with me for now, because I know that DNA mapping is very expensive at the moment ,BUT if we collect samples every year we can use the phenotype data (how do I look is my bum big in this? etc.) for the moment and it might be 20 years down the road from now but someone can borrow a little leg joint or something and map the DNA with 20 years worth of specimens

OK lets say we can do this what's the best method?
    A bit of poking around the web and I find 95% Isopropanol would store the samples for years and the DNA would be safe.

Tested that but the problem is when the drone is in alcohol it turns black, OK it comes back to the original appearance when the alcohol evaporates off, it but that involves removing the sample also there is some matting of the body hairs and most importantly all the samples look the same until they are removed from the alcohol

So how about storing the drones in a vial with a couple of crystals of thymol that's cheap but you don't want deposits of thymol on the drone so possibly a stong solution of thymol in alhohol soak a sheet of 300g watercolour paper and allow to air dry then pin the drone to the paper in a small plastic case.

Help Any better ideas on how we can do this ??

I think if it's properly designed it could get some funding so let's work on that assumption that sample collecting phials or cases will be available and need to travel through the post.
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 30-07-2012 at 02:30 PM.