Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drone Mapping Project

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi DR,

A better idea why don't you just take off the wings and scan them!
    Wings useful but bee better

I have a few old fashioned chicken pure breeds
    The Black Orpington is a breed created by Wm Cook around 1880
    The breed was a great egg layer and dual purpose so they were large and good for eating
    Some were exported as far afield as Australia where a hen set a record by laying 364 eggs in a single year
    Back here in the UK show breeders started breeding for size leg colour beak wings etc.
    Today thanks to that breeding we have a UK Orpington that is huge and fluffy and can hardly manage a couple of dozen eggs a year
    In Australia they selected for egg laying and those birds are called Australorps
    Australorps are rated as good egg layers even now (although these days they are suffering because of show breeding for feathers)
    Hence I'm not a wing man myself

Blog Entries

An Uncle of mine used to win all the cups in the local poultry shows with his Australorps.
    He had a fine selection of Marans as well.
    He used to prepare them for show with a hair dryer to fluff them out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    An Uncle of mine used to win all the cups in the local poultry shows with his Australorps.
    He had a fine selection of Marans as well.
    He used to prepare them for show with a hair dryer to fluff them out nicely.
    Thing is the better the show bird the more likely they will be useless layers Lol!
    I have a couple of Marans who lay for a couple of weeks early in the year and a couple in late Summer they just strut around the rest of the time great big useless lumps
    I have a couple of Appenzellers a cockerel and a hen He is very showy and so is she but she laid an egg nearly every day for the first couple of years and even now at 5 still lays every other day (smaller birds better layers often)
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-08-2012 at 11:03 PM.