Hi All

I am quite keen to keep bees - and doing much research about this, quite a fascinating hobby!

I think I have the perfect location - at the end of my garden! It borders a field, which is largely unused - sometimes used for holding cattle. It has plenty of clover in it. Within my garden boundary and what would be virtually on top of the hive location are two very large mature lime trees - These literally hum in the spring and summer with bees / wasps - not sure what insect as they are so high up.

So I seem to have a pretty good local food source. Also at this end of the garden is a pond - so that should take care of watering.

A couple of questions:

1. Is this indeed a good location I have described?
2. Can you visit the general hive location without veiling up? ie. I would like to keep the pond accessible - this may require an exclusion zone? Comments?
3. What is the best time of year to start a venture - have I missed the boat for this year? (considering I still have a lot to learn, and get together) perhaps gearing up for next year would be a better idea.
4. Any comments from anyone local to the Livingston area? I have tried contacting the association secretary for Edinburgh without response.

Many thanks

Colin