Thread: Starting out and a few questions

Default Starting out and a few questions

Hi All

I am quite keen to keep bees - and doing much research about this, quite a fascinating hobby!

I think I have the perfect location - at the end of my garden! It borders a field, which is largely unused - sometimes used for holding cattle. It has plenty of clover in it. Within my garden boundary and what would be virtually on top of the hive location are two very large mature lime trees - These literally hum in the spring and summer with bees / wasps - not sure what insect as they are so high up.

So I seem to have a pretty good local food source. Also at this end of the garden is a pond - so that should take care of watering.

A couple of questions:

1. Is this indeed a good location I have described?
    2. Can you visit the general hive location without veiling up? ie. I would like to keep the pond accessible - this may require an exclusion zone? Comments?
    3. What is the best time of year to start a venture - have I missed the boat for this year? (considering I still have a lot to learn, and get together) perhaps gearing up for next year would be a better idea.
    4. Any comments from anyone local to the Livingston area? I have tried contacting the association secretary for Edinburgh without response.

Many thanks

Colin

Blog Entries

Sounds good! Our first bees were at the end of our long, thin garden with the entrances facing out over a horse field. Never bothered anybody and only one horse picked up a sting on its nose when it came over to see what we were doing (inspecting the bees as it happened!). As for Livingston, I expect someone local will wander in here sometime and find you but if not I'll see if I can give you some contact details later. The very best thing you can do is join your local association, go along to meetings, and see how you get on with bees. That's the best way to find a local mentor and the safest source of your first bees. Local bees are usually the best!

Blog Entries

Hi Colin

Just to expand on Trog's comments, yes, go for it!

You could try a PM to Alan Riach on this forum. I think that he's fairly close to you. PMs get sent out as emails too.

It does sound like a good site but bear in mind that a colony needs a lot of forage and will range over 1-2(-5(-8)) miles so the surrounding terrain is important too. For 50/52ths of the year you can just walk up to them and they will ignore you. When they are queenless, or when something (horses?! clumsy beekeeper? farmer spraying? oilseed rape coming to an end?) bothered them, or if they are one of the relatively rare aggressive colonies they might be in a mood to attack.

Best time to start keeping bees is with a locally sourced 5-frame nucleus in perhaps late May or June. Then it will grow gradually to a scary size as your confidence handling them grows. It is however a bit late to get onto a beekeeping course, but as Tro suggests maybe you can find a local mentor (worth their weight in gold!).

best wishes

Gavin

The location sounds great! I only started keeping bees last year, but would defintiely agree that joining your local association is a great step. You've probably missed beginners courses, but you may be able to go on apiary visits so's you get a taster before jumping in.

I got my first colony last year after spending about 6months 'researching' to ensure that I knew enough of the basics to look after them properly. I started by visiting a couple of beekeepers and helping them to do some hive inspections. I found that was the best way to learn, combined with loads of books and a basic beekeeping day course. And join the local bee club - that way you can be sure you will have all the help you need to get started. Good luck!!