Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buster Gonad ... the wheelbarrow thread

Not wanting to lower the tone further, but staying on topic, I've just discovered the Dyson Ballbarrow ... perfect for Buster Gonad and with the fat tyres recommended by Chris and Gavin.

Thanks for the Icko links Chris, that was a new site to me and they have sone useful and unusual stuff.

Blog Entries

I still think that a fat pneumatic tyre is the way to go, absorbing the bumps better than the Dyson ball. The make we have is the black one second along from the top left (at the time of posting anyway). It has carried many a hive between the back of the garden and the car in relative comfort, unlike the earlier hard-wheeled one a la Dave Cushman.

http://search.diy.com/search#w=wheelbarrow

I put a brick in the bottom to help stabilise the hive which was otherwise jammed inbetween the sloping sides of the barrow. The garden was more or less organic at the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Icko links - that was a new site to me and they have sone useful and unusual stuff.
    They are my supplier- loads of choice and good prices, BUT almost everything geared towards Dadant and Langstroff hives.

I made friends with the people at the local tip, who put a 'junk' wheelbarrow to one side for me. It only cost a couple of pounds.

I cut down a pallet, wedged and tied it inside the barrow part to make a level platform. A couple of ratchet straps holds supers or brood boxes in place whilst they're being moved.

If you prefer a pneumatic wheel they're easy enough to change, Wickes, B+Q etc sell them, but if the wheelbarrow frame is too rusty it might collapse.

Thumbs up Buster Gonad ... first outing

Finally built the hivebarrow ... after a bit of searching I found a wheelbarrow that:
    1. Could easily have the 'pan' removed
    2. Provided a horizontal platform
    3. Had a large pneumatic tyre
    4. Was not completely rusty … or likely to get that way

Mr. Bodgit (as I'm termed by some family members who do not appreciate scrap bits of wood, regular bloodloss and frequent swearing) got working over the winter and built a suitable platform. The balmy weather of the bank holiday weekend allowed the first outing when I installed a new hive stand in an out apiary.
    130329-160802.jpg 130329-162231.jpg
    Being horizontal - at least if the ground is flat - it allows me to use it as a temporary hive stand for short distance moves within the apiary.

F*@%ing marvellous as Roger Mellie would say

Excellent!

I move my hives on an old barrow with a wide tyre, I put a small pallet inside to make a platform and use a couple of ratchet straps to hold it in place. Yours looks much more suitable, and more reliably stable.

Default Buster Gonad ... the wheelbarrow thread

Cheap warehouse truck beefed up axle, golf trolly wheels,removable box (hive/super ) size!

Doesn't double as a hive stand
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk