Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Are neonicotinoid pesticides responsible for the demise of bees and other wildlife?

Default Think global, act local...

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    In Orkneys defence to give the Isles some credit
    Tomorrow, I'm expecting a visit from SSE about the 10 acre substation they want to build on my shore outrun.This is to collect, transform, then ship most of Orkney's marine electricity to mainland Scotland. There are leases sold by the Crown Estate for up to 1600 wave and tidal generators, round our shores.

On Friday, I get a visit from Orkney Island Council's community benefit officer to discuss my plan to sell the earmarked site to the council so they can negotiate with SSE.Aquamarine, EON etc. on behalf of Orkney, concerning a compensatory tariff on any future profits.

It's not that I don't appreciate the many benefits we get from big, bad global companies. My concerns are more about their escalating influence, lack of broad accountability; and inability, usually, of governments, councils and non-corporate society in general, to avoid being walked over--payment of taxes, scrutiny of claims, environmental responsibility etc..

There aren't that many trees to hug up here, maybe that's why I'm so bitter and twisted......

And, yes, I am rearing a Clydesdale stallion for when the diesel's all gone.
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 30-08-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnthefarmer View Post

There aren't that many trees to hug up here, maybe that's why I'm so bitter and twisted......

And, yes, I am rearing a Clydesdale stallion for when the diesel's all gone.
    You should take up beekeeping. It is a great hobby and a nice way to chill out once you get on top of what is going on in the colony.
    You have everything going for you on Orkney apart from climate.
    Varroa free which is the main plus point, and limited use of pesticides of whatever hue.

I am a beekeeper's apprentice, technical assistant, and general dogsbody.
    I may not become a fully-fledged independent beekeeper , but I certainly am interested in beekeeping and the environment.

Blog Entries

Seriously though, it is a brilliant way to chill when you get properly into it and things work out.
    Some beekeepers never get into the zone and it is a constant battle re. swarm control or aggression.
    An ideal Saturday for me is a sunny afternoon in May checking out a stack of colonies as part of swarm control while listening to end of season football commentary on Radio 5.
    The queen rearing is also rewarding as you feel you are doing your bit to improve local bee genetics.

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

I clicked on Nellie’s link to the Canadian Honey Council and look what I found on the news page. http://www.honeycouncil.ca/news.php?nType=Canadian Although the 2nd and 3rd articles are inconclusive what are the chances of Doris and John the farmer getting a mass apology.
    Last edited by lindsay s; 19-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Lindsay

I started a thread on this here, annoyed that the Canadian regulators (and Canadian branches of the multinationals involved) had failed to heed the problems in Europe and were persisting with dangerous practices. There were similar happenings in the US.

In the UK and Europe pneumatic-driven seed planters have been required to discharge dust onto or into the soil rather than up in the air. The HSE have stated that they were unaware of problems in the UK and requested anyone suspecting one to get in touch.

I don't think that anyone here is saying that we should trust the industry all of the time. But in the UK the uses of pesticides are much more restrictive than in North America and reported bee poisoning incidents have plummeted.

Gavin

Orkney (it’s usually cool and windy but somehow the bees survive!)

Interesting debate about neonicotinoids on Radio Scotland this morning
    Scroll to 1:10.30 I’m siding with the farmer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nbxdy

Blog Entries

Doesnt work on an iPad sadly, but when I next get in front of a proper computer I'll have a listen.

Blog Entries

Dodgy Apple products!
    Well worth a listen. The guy from the farmers Union is no pushover re. the neonic armageddon line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    .. but when I next get in front of a proper computer I'll have a listen.
    Me too, a proper computer with a UK IP address.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk