Thread: Are neonicotinoid pesticides responsible for the demise of bees and other wildlife?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Think global, act local...

Quote Originally Posted by Calum View Post
    In Orkneys defence to give the Isles some credit
    Tomorrow, I'm expecting a visit from SSE about the 10 acre substation they want to build on my shore outrun.This is to collect, transform, then ship most of Orkney's marine electricity to mainland Scotland. There are leases sold by the Crown Estate for up to 1600 wave and tidal generators, round our shores.

On Friday, I get a visit from Orkney Island Council's community benefit officer to discuss my plan to sell the earmarked site to the council so they can negotiate with SSE.Aquamarine, EON etc. on behalf of Orkney, concerning a compensatory tariff on any future profits.

It's not that I don't appreciate the many benefits we get from big, bad global companies. My concerns are more about their escalating influence, lack of broad accountability; and inability, usually, of governments, councils and non-corporate society in general, to avoid being walked over--payment of taxes, scrutiny of claims, environmental responsibility etc..

There aren't that many trees to hug up here, maybe that's why I'm so bitter and twisted......

And, yes, I am rearing a Clydesdale stallion for when the diesel's all gone.
    Last edited by Johnthefarmer; 30-08-2012 at 12:14 PM.