Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time to start this one off!

Blog Entries

I feel that by providing space above the broodnest we are creating an unnatural situation that the bees quickly remedy by filling it with comb. A wild colony would always start building at the top of the cavity and build downwards, there's never an empty space above their heads if left to their own devices. Thinking about it that way, the Warre has to be the most natural one, with 'supers' always added underneath the broodnest for expanding downwards. (I know they call them 'nadirs' instead of 'supers'.) (Still don't know how the Stewarton is managed.)

Warning:
    Read the next bit only if you have had your tea already!

There's a rather macabre story which seems to be fitting into this thread:
    During our Ghana-trip in January I heard about a taboo source of honey. It's honey from graves: Feral colonies can occupy the chest-cavity of corpses in shallow graves, possibly using the ribs as natural top bars.

... you have been warned,
    Doris

Blog Entries

Doris. Love your story. I am sure I have heard of similar happenings with old animal carcases that have become overgrown and made excellent 'hives'. It seems that we have interesting ideas/theories regarding the TBH and similar 'natural' methods of beekeeping. I am sure that there is an element of truth in all systems, but I wonder which systems the bees themselves actually prefer?

This is why I wish to run different systems for myself and try and compare, over a period of time and under as similar conditions as possible, which is the most beneficial for the bees, rather than man.

So I do hope that there will be others willing to look at other forms of husbandry, and that we can compare notes. Less stress = less disease and hopefully happier ladies.

Blog Entries

Of course, the old story of the bees inhabiting a lion's carcase is too well-known to need repeating. You just have to look on a Tate & Lyle syrup/treacle tin to see how long that one's lasted!

Blog Entries

"Out of the eater came forth meat and out of the strong came forth sweetness"

I'm no biblican scholar but this seems to be The Book of Judges story of Samson and the Philistines.

Lyle%27sGoldenSyrup..jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup

drat! Too well known to be worth repeating you said Trog!

Blog Entries

Popz:
    What about a whale carcass?
    Plenty of room for colony expansion there.

Blog Entries

Bleurrrgh! Can you imagine what the honey would taste like, made inside a stinky minke?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Bleurrrgh! Can you imagine what the honey would taste like, made inside a stinky minke?
    Well obviously I would fumigate beforehand with 80% acetic acid and take a blow torch to the rib cage to avoid any health and safety issues.

Blog Entries

Doris - I don't know whether you are still there but it seems that at the words 'TBH' 'natural' 'what bees like as opposed to man(man being generic of course!!!)' and anything else that might inpinge on traditional ideas, all collapse into a heap of blethering whatnots.

I have re-assembled my TBH today on the strength of all this and will process it out to the apiary in the very near future. So there! Hope you join me up your way?

Blog Entries

Hi POPZ

As I said before: unfortunately I'll have to restrain myself at the moment and concentrate on producing nucs in standard equipment. The TBH will be set up as a bait hive and if a swarm moves in I'll be delighted.
    If I find time I'll try to construct a Warre, too, again to be used as a bait hive.

I hear that there is an alternative beekeeper on Mull, maybe we can get him/her to share experiences with us on this forum?

Will keep you posted should a swarm decide to go alternative.

Doris

Blog Entries

Popz.
    Didn't mean to be critical. I have to hold my hand up to being a blethering whatnot.
    ...But Doris started it!
    I do intend to build my own TBH this year, out of curiosity more than anything else.