Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cow parsley - or something else?

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks Gavin - I've bookmarked that site.

I'll just call them all hogweed and feel pleased that the bees have some forage on their doorstep to make use of between spells of rain.

Kitta

This may already been known but it is better to reiterate just in case.

A cautionary note about H. mantegazzianum:

The sap from Giant Hogweed can cause photo-dermatitis. Contact with the skin and then even mild exposure to sunlight can cause burning blisters that require treatment. It can result in permanent sensitivity of the skin to Infra Red light.

This happened to a friend of mine after a walk through Giant Hogweed wearing shorts. He ended up in hospital overnight. Painful!

Blog Entries

Do you know if bees work the pollen from giant hogweed as they do the native one? I'm not tall enough to check

I'd prefer it if they didn't - they already have too much of a penchant for Japanese knotweed and Himalayan balsam!

I've only seen bees working native hogweed, not giant hogweed but we do not have that much H. mantegazzianum around to make that a definitive answer.

When I say “I’m not happy” people ask “which dwarf are you then?” so I struggle to see as well.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Sneezy? Among the giant hogweeds.

A couple of days ago when it was nice and sunny, I checked the hogweeds and did not see a single bee foraging. I suppose they made use of the good weather to fly further afield.