Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Queen !

I've got a couple of these nucs and bees seem to do well in them. As the weather was good last autumn (good weather is something I vaguely recall from the dim and distant past), the two colonies that I had planned to over-winter in them were moved to bigger hives as they had done so well. I've just moved one colony on from a Paynes nuc - it had expanded really very well with brood on all 6 frames; just one side of one frame didn't have any brood as it was full of stores. I KNOW this lot will swarm quite early next spring as I know the queen's mother!

Blog Entries

I should warn you that kind of stock is quite capable of swarming in August, even with space in a full-sized brood box and, apparently, a first year queen! Maybe Feckless Drone (most inappropriate name) can expand or correct.

The difference between casts I have seen this summer in Paynes boxes and wooden National nucs is stark - clearly the cool weather has been taking its toll on the colonies in the less well insulated boxes.

One comment on the Paynes boxes is that although it seems like a good idea to stuff fondant into the feeder compartment, it really isn't. Bees drown on the wet surface. Better with syrup and a properly made floatation strip I think.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    One comment on the Paynes boxes is that although it seems like a good idea to stuff fondant into the feeder compartment, it really isn't. Bees drown on the wet surface. Better with syrup and a properly made floatation strip I think.
    Even syrup has its problems with the Paynes boxes. As the float works its way down the feeder, following the diminishing syrup, the bees in turn follow the float with brace comb. You then have to dig it all out before you top up, otherwise the float fails to rise when the feeder is filled.

To encourage a weak colony I would use 2 dummy boards in a standard brood box, leaving only one unused comb on each side of the brood. It can the be fed with a rapid feeder, kept topped up without disturbing the hive.

Steve

Blog Entries

To encourage a weak colony I would use 2 dummy boards in a standard brood box, leaving only one unused comb on each side of the brood. It can the be fed with a rapid feeder, kept topped up without disturbing the hive.
    Agree with Steve. Insulated dummy frames leaving one or two free combs for expansion is the way to go.

dummy boards.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Even syrup has its problems with the Paynes boxes. As the float works its way down the feeder, following the diminishing syrup, the bees in turn follow the float with brace comb. You then have to dig it all out before you top up, otherwise the float fails to rise when the feeder is filled.

Steve
    Having used these boxes for approaching a year now I think the integral feeder is a bit of a payne. As Gavin says, fondant causes problems and they readily build brace comb in the gap as Rosie, er Steve, says. Emptying them of fermenting syrup is not a pleasant task. I'm just now sealing mine up with gaffer tape. The boxes are big enough to include a frame feeder if needed. I've built insulated ekes to feed fondant in the winter ... and for summer (at least the summer we're having this year) feeding I tip the box slightly and then just drop granulated sugar into the angle between the floor and the wall. After dampening it stays in place and doesn't fall out of the mesh floor. I find I can add a pound of sugar easily to help captured swarms get well established.

On the plus side, they're a bit bigger than a normal nuc so very useful for housing swarms (and light enough to hold with one hand whilst up a ladder ... though of course you drop the lot when the swarm falls into the box ), pretty robust and easy to stack.

I don't use the feeders in the Paynes boxes for the reasons above and only put colonies in them with good food levels.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I should warn you that kind of stock is quite capable of swarming in August, even with space in a full-sized brood box and, apparently, a first year queen! Maybe Feckless Drone (most inappropriate name) can expand or correct.
    I don't doubt it. The mother swarmed too early and this is the outcome.

It is really growing quickly. Now in a double nuc; 5 frames over 5. I currently don't have a spare brood box - will have in a couple of days after a newspaper unite I did a week ago can be dismantled and combined into one and the box recovered. There's also plenty of stores so they are not just burning stores up and converting them into bees.
    Last edited by Adam; 19-07-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: didn't make sense

Our local Association used Paynes nucs : same drowning/fermenting problems.

I have been so impressed with the performance of insulated hives I have nearly finished adding insulated sides to my TBHs. (they already have insulated roofs). The one fully insulated TBH in operation this spring has outperformed all the others. Co-incidence? No.

Default Insulated Hives

I had the opportunity last year to house a swarm in an old WBC hive, mainly as i had no Nationals to use, however I have to say, it built up well last autumn, over wintered really well, and this spring out performed the colonies housed in nationals so far as build up was concerned. The only downside was I missed the queen cell due to the number of bees, and subsequently lost a swarm.

However on reflection I can't help but think the extra skin provided that much needed insulation early on to get the bees started, and has continued to be advantageous throughout the rest of this season. So much so I plan to use WBC more. Although these poly hives are tempting me now.

On the subject of the integral feeders in the Paynes nuc, several years ago we purchased a dozen polystyrene mating nucs (the same -as far as I can see- as the 'doubled mating nuc' currently listed by Park Beekeeping Supplies but we sourced ours from an entirely different supplier). It was our first ever introduction to polystyrene boxes so the density didn't strike us as being particlarly low -nothing to compare it to* but a few other design faults did, not least of which was the awful built in feeder; all the same problems which people seem to have experienced with the Paynes nuc. I'd never use that kind of feeder again and infact would devise some way to permanently block it off.

*To be fair, the bees never did chew those mating nucs. But the mice did.

Another thing, for all of their downfalls they were highly efficient for their purpose -getting queens mated. I'd probably try them again but with a few modifications if it wasn't for the Lyson mini-plus hives being available at much the same price. But that's the thing isn't it, when I buy something brand new I don't expect to have to compromise or in any way to have to modify it.
    Last edited by prakel; 20-07-2012 at 07:25 AM.