Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Queen mating problems? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Usually the large colonies mate OK and I see a bit of queen-hopping in smaller colonies as they return from flights and go into the wrong hive - site too congested I think. (A yellowy queen that appears in a hive that previously had a dark one is a fair give-away)!
    This year I caught a yellow cast and hived it in a nuc in my mating nuc area - about 150 yards from my drone hives. The cast was absolutely yellow but all my grafts were taken from my blackest hives. When I eventually found laying queens in them the yellow nuc had a black queen and a black nuc had a yellow queen. I'm fairly certain that they swapped homes. I don't think I will put yellow casts there again. Next year I'll find some new mistake to make!

Steve

Blog Entries

Virgin queens return to the wrong colony quite frequently although a lot of the time it probably goes unnoticed.
    Quite a few apidea failures are due to queens returning to the wrong one and getting balled.

If you have a queenless hive near apideas one of the apidea queens will invariably be cute enough to fly from the apidea and return to the full colony.
    Two years ago I had a full colony with a queen cell in beside a 2 frame nuc with a virgin queen.
    The virgin went missing from the nuc and when I looked next door she was in there and had torn down the cell.
    I still have that queen.

Blog Entries

I'm blaming pesticides rather than my own ineptitude for my rather less than auspicious start to organised queen rearing.

The bees have occasionally triumphed despite the pesticides (my efforts) but I think I'm now onto my second batch of failures, we'll see.

In order to track virgins I have considered marking them with numbered discs which I purchased this year. However weather and other stuff has meant that I haven't even tried it so I'll have to leave that for next year I think.

Steve,
    I'm surprised you even tolerated yellow bees. I thought you were a black only kinda guy.

Hi Adam

I breed from my purest but can't keep them all black. I merely move the yellow ones to an out apiary with a view to requeening later but I never seem to have enough nucs or even queens to requeen enough as well as supplying beginners with black bees. I would rather populate other people's hives with the best stock so that I can requeen my own duds later. Fortunately my yellow ones have enough native blood in them to remain compatible with my breeders so I don't get the behavioural problems associated with hybrids. The last time I had a killer colony was the result of taking bees to distant rape fields. They had to be artificially swarmed while they were there and hybrid genetics resulted. I managed to requeen the bad ones last season so I'm back on an even keel again now. I vowed I would not move my bees again until August when it's reasonably safe.

One of my good blood lines have some yellow in them despite their wing venation and behavioural traits showing high AMM levels. I maintain that line because they are so healthy, productive and gentle. I'm not hung up on colour as I know that colour is a poor indicator of purity. Behaviour and wing venation are better measures to use. The only drawback with having some yellow in the bees is that people who want to buy native bees expect them to be black.

Steve

Blog Entries

Default Make your own observations

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I see the usual suspect is posting drivel with no evidence at all that queen mating problems are caused by neonicotinoid pesticides used on oil seed rape!
    Very nice attitude, Jon.

To the genuine reader I recommend to make his/her own observations.

If you are close to neonic treated crops and you have persistent queen problems then there might well be a connection, never mind what a bunch of pesticide defenders on this and other beekeeping forums try to make you believe.

Blog Entries

If you are close to neonic treated crops and you have persistent queen problems then there might well be a connection
    Drivel is drivel and lack of evidence is lack of evidence.
    There might well be Thetons hiding in the middle of the field as well. Hard to prove there aren't.

My queen mating site is beside oil seed rape and I don't have problems.
    Just stating my own experience.

Blog Entries

And we discussed this last summer or maybe the one before, with a serious consideration of whether the queen mating problems faced by some of us in the east were possibly due to exposure of oilseed rape. They weren't. Queen raisers in the west a long way from arable crops had the same problems in May/June.

This year again we had atrocious weather in the east at the main queen mating time. There was a three-day weather window in the middle of it and this time our mating success was good, despite proximity to oilseed rape. To paraphrase a well-known song, What a Difference Three Days Make (72 little hours .... ).

It is really poor science to try to describe apparent correlations of poor bee health of one kind or another with imagined exposure to pesticides without considering exposure to the other things that have historically (and not so historically) affected bees. There is some of that now surfacing and no doubt those who seek justification for their beliefs will jump on it, which is sad.

So this year - plenty of oilseed rape within a few km and many but not all colonies were working it. Terrible mating weather, queens running right up against the clock, then three half-decent days and most of them came into lay a couple of days later. 15 out of 18 virgins now laying a good pattern, one failure, two drone layers. Most of the Apideas at the association apiary are laying too but I haven't counted them up yet. I suppose that in Orkney without neonic-treated crops in a really wet couple of months you can better that then?
    Last edited by gavin; 14-07-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromnessbees View Post
    Very nice attitude, Jon.

To the genuine reader I recommend to make his/her own observations.

If you are close to neonic treated crops and you have persistent queen problems then there might well be a connection, never mind what a bunch of pesticide defenders on this and other beekeeping forums try to make you believe.
    Well I am not close to any crops at all: no arable land for miles and I have queen problems.

So I am afraid your logic is - frankly - seriously flawed .

I remember the same level of debate covered testing women for witches:-

Throw them in a a pond: if they float, they are witches so drown them. If they drown, well tough...

Sorry but you really need to read a simple book on logical thinking and try to use the techniques suggested.. Otherwise you are speaking drivel. from a logical argument viewpoint.

So far this has been a poor year for me. As I was going to be away on holiday when I usually start my bee breeding I decided just to do splits this year as and when required. In our area the colonies usually start to produce queen cells in the 3rd week in May. This was true to form again this year. The splits were done and I went on holiday with the view that the new queens would hatch and possible be mated on my return. What I did not expect was the weeks of wet weather. On my return some hives were on the point of starvation even though there were in some cases 2 supers with plenty of stores on some colonies. The mating was poor of 8 splits 3 turned out to be drone layers and 1 absconded possibly due to starvation. The other 4 mated ok. 1 of the original queens also swarmed. Before anybody says it is due to pesiticides I am not near any arable land. In fact my worst mating site is on MOD land. My colonies were checked for pesticide residues by Keele University and came back as negative for any chemical substances. The reason this year for my queen problems is down to beekeeper error and extreme wet weather that has affected mating.