Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rose method of queen rearing

Hi Black Comb,

There's a link I listed in the 'your favourite links' forum for a video of the first part of a talk called 'the sustainable apiary' by Mike Palmer. If you follow the link you will find that part two is also available to view. It's in part two* that Mike Palmer talks quite extensively about the use of split brood chambers and adding half size nuc boxes etc. While nothing to do with Rosie's queen rearing method you may still find the talk of great interest.

For anyone who's interested at this time of year:

there's also a nice section towards the end about reading the combs with relation to stores/feeding for winter -a learned skill which isn't often given as much attention as it might deserve, possibly because it's marginally more complicated than hefting.

EDIT: 18/08/2012.

*I've just noticed that a large part of the nucleus establishment talk is actually at the end of the first video.
    Last edited by prakel; 18-08-2012 at 11:53 AM.

There might yet be time to try this before the season finishes ... I have the necessary boxes If I understand this correctly the nuc box not containing the grafts simply contains stores? Presumably the nuc boxes have to sit flush on the QE? If there's no flow on and you have to feed syrup do the bees store it in the adjacent (non-grafts) nuc box ... effectively lower down the hive?

Why is this called the 'Rose' method and not the 'Rosie' method?

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    There might yet be time to try this before the season finishes ... I have the necessary boxes If I understand this correctly the nuc box not containing the grafts simply contains stores?
    Yes.

Presumably the nuc boxes have to sit flush on the QE? If there's no flow on and you have to feed syrup do the bees store it in the adjacent (non-grafts) nuc box ... effectively lower down the hive?
    I'm not sure about that. There has always been plenty of nectar in the box I have grafted into so I can't be sure that they have not added more while the process was taking place. Remember that the plastic sheet is only in place for a few days so I doubt if you would notice a difference in stores increase between the 2 boxes during such a short time.

Why is this called the 'Rose' method and not the 'Rosie' method?
    "Rosie" is just a joke name that I used when I first registered

Steve

Blog Entries

I'm tempted to say that he's .... a Rose by any other name .....

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Ooof! Loud .....

Blog Entries

Is this getting silly? At least this Rosie isn't a cross-dresser ....

I wish I'd called myself Stephanie now!

Blog Entries

I know a Dilys on another forum!

I think I'm still at the tinkering stage in my queen rearing career and your system looks a good one Steve. I do like the Harden system but I wonder if I could get more grafts started with yours. No harm in trying.

So.....I'm thinking a partitioned brood box would work just as well or is there more merit in having two separate half units? I guess for the moving of the plastic sheet in and out the two units might be better?