Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sting Reactions

Blog Entries

I will do, it's potentially very annoying I'm not, nor have ever been allergic to anything. I don't even get hayfever.

The problem with allergies is that they can pop up and start at any time and most unexpectedly.

Blog Entries

Well I spoke to the GP. The consistent message I get from the NHS is that I probably know more about bee stings and reactions than they do.

They didn't think off the back off one reaction like mine that it was worth going to an immunologist.

They're giving me a prescription for an epipen just in case and I'm going to go talk to one of the nurses who'll explain the process around that. That and a pack of antihistamines become part of my standard kit by the sounds of it.

I'd have a word with Gavin and get his opinion.

Blog Entries

Local pharmacist was of the opinion that stings vary in makeup and potency throughout the year. GP had little idea how to treat my reaction beyond oodles of antihistamine, cream for the all over itchy sunburn-type rash, and an epipen in case the next reaction was worse! I don't generally pick up many stings as I wear gloves and treat the girls gently but this sting was into my wrist while gardening so no gloves. Was it co-incidence that last year I was sneezing constantly, having never had hayfever before? Then the bad reaction in the autumn?

Haven't been stung so far this year so still waiting to find out what happens with the next one. Haven't stopped beekeeping as I just can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    I will do, it's potentially very annoying I'm not, nor have ever been allergic to anything. I don't even get hayfever.
    I saw a Warre hive in Thornes the other day I'd never heard of it until you mentioned them.

Looks like you would be guaranteed a good stinging if you had to open one

I would run down to the hives and get stung again the suspense would be killing me.

Better the suspense than the sting D.R.

Blog Entries

It's not the suspense I'm curious will kill me

Blog Entries

Well I've read a lot about anaphylaxis over the past couple of days but seems to be a real dearth of detailed info around bee stings in particular.

I understand a lot more about what happens but I'm still largely non the wiser as to why it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellie View Post
    Well I've read a lot about anaphylaxis over the past couple of days but seems to be a real dearth of detailed info around bee stings in particular.

I understand a lot more about what happens but I'm still largely non the wiser as to why it happens.
    Latex is another common one if your using the gloves
    Some people have a terrible reaction to the powder in some gloves as well
    My sister in law developed a nickel allergy working as a cleaner
    might not be all about the sting
    I wouldn't trust the hokey quack alergy testers only the NHS
    Next visit to the apiary best have a driver standing by for the trip to casualty (but you'll probably be ok.)
    If not you get to say "I told you I was allergic" on your tombstone