Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sting Reactions

Default Sting Reactions

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Yep couldn't get the hive tool up the nostril so nail had to do
    Use of the word "couldn't" suggests you did actually attempt to get the hive tool up you nose.

This thread need pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Use of the word "couldn't" suggests you did actually attempt to get the hive tool up you nose.

This thread need pictures

Trust me when I say I would rather have a hive tool in my nostril than a bee sting

Default Sting Reactions

There speaks the voice of experience.

Not had too bad a year for stings in 2015
    Had plenty mind but mostly all in the fingers
    A couple in the head and one under the eye
    (Poking around with no bee protection or tools)

Think I was stung more feeding the little blighters than at any other time

Blog Entries

Blimey, forgot about this one. Personally since this time my reaction to stings has gone totally in the opposite direction and I barely seem to get any adverse reactions at all in terms of swelling. I spent a year with the thicker blue rubber gloves, which I actually think are a decent compromise between protection and still being able to feel some of what is going on before, inevitably, getting stung again where much entertainment was to be had rummaging around for the epipen and waiting for something to happen which, thankfully, never did.

82 stings this year - one on my septum which produced tears. The rest are not memorable at all...Most came from Association Apiary bees which seem to recognise I am gloveless from 20 meters away:-(

82. Blimey.

1 this year (although I'm not gloveless like madasafish) which was after moving about a dozen colonies in a transit van to Scotland ... one, clearly already homesick, snuck up the back of my jacket but even that was a glancing blow. I didn't use mini-nucs for queen rearing this year, instead splitting full boxes into nucs ... this is a lot less traumatic for everyone concerned (and was a cause of several stings in previous seasons as tradition dictates it must be done on a cool, wet and windy spring day). Finally, the grand total of 1 includes surviving the nuclear-detonation bee-eruption that occurs when you drop a full brood box. Not one of my finer moments. Rearranging a colony for queen rearing and dropped a full box from about chest height.
    kF0a6Vv.jpg
    Docile they weren't.