Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bee breeding/improvement groups

Blog Entries

The only beekeeping test I have passed is being stung 30 times in the legs and still able to run (don't drop the hive)
    I have similar qualifications.
    I remember last years I got about 20 stings to the wrist filling a stack of apideas on a rainy day and realizing half way through that I should have sealed that gap between glove and sleeve before I started.

Blog Entries

Sun is shining now so it's down to the offie for some Buckfast
    I prefer my apple wine made from local produce.
    it's cheaper to brew your own rather than slipping out to the offie for a top up.
    Buckfast appears to give a good initial hit but flatters to deceive in the long run and induces aggression when crossed.
    Do you think 5 a day applies after fermentation?

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    But we feel like we're quite a progressive association and try to do lots for the members and the community.
    I do like the newsletter you produce - always of interest and worth seeking out.

"the low lister" FD

I can't take credit for the newsletter although some of my stuff has appeared in it. Tony Harris our secretary does the newsletter every month.

Back on the subject of groups -

Is the BIBBA groups guy usually difficult to get hold of? I've tried emailing twice over the last couple of weeks with no reply. I confess I'm less than impressed with my first dealings with the organisation as a new member.

Drumgerry, if you care to pm me with any complaints I will try to take them up with the BIBBA people responsible. The last few people who recently joined BIBBA were full of praise for their new efficiency so it's disappointing to hear you are not happy. Perhaps someone is on holiday or otherwise indisposed.

Steve

Blog Entries

Hi Steve.
    Should we be registering queenrearing groups with Bibba in some way?
    It would be good to get something organised about swapping queens.
    I have had quite a few PMs here and elsewhere about getting hold of a decent queen or two to graft from.
    This is a real problem for people who want to work with native or native type bees.
    They can't get hold of the stock.
    A criticism often leveled at Bibba is that queens are not made available.
    I appreciate that Bibba is not a queen vendor but maybe we need to get more organised about sharing/swapping genetic material to the different queenrearing groups around the UK.
    There is some pretty decent stock in Ireland thanks to the Galtee bee breeding programme.
    Maybe the thing would be to release two year old queens after a year of grafting from them.

My problem is that I really hate to let new queens go until I have assessed them.
    Last year I saw a lot of yellow banding but a little bird has told me that my Buckfast loving near neighbour lost 13/15 colonies over winter due to poor varroa control.

We have two groups going here now, Mervyn's people in Dromore and our group in Belfast.
    We have also been attracting in members of another local association, Killinchy, and a couple of them grafted at home for the first time into a queenless colony and got cells started so that might be a third local queenrearing group this time next year.

The essence of BIBBA is that it's an association of breeding groups. The BIBBA year book contains all the groups that have registered and shows their location and contact details. Not all the groups have expert queen rearers but have registered in order to facilitate a dialogue with other groups. Around here we have made contact with others and have offered the use of our remote mating site and also genetic material. BIBBA'a success depends on as many people as possible forming themselves into groups and registering their existence so that we can work together and for the established groups to help the newer ones and extend our influence. So yes - register ASAP!

As for assessing your queens before releasing them I think that provided you are honest about what you have and your doubts then making your stock available to others can only be a good thing. People can be left to make up their own minds about whether your bees will be suitable for their own district.

Steve

Interesting that you say there's a yearbook Steve but I asked about a "member's handbook" and was told it's not being printed this year. Not great for the likes of me who's keen to set up a group, with no way to contact others about the subject except through this forum. It would be nice to have some sort of information and help from BIBBA. All I've had so far are the magazine and an emailed welcome letter which I had to ask about in order to get!

They started printing one very year but decided this year to give it a miss, probably because not everyone appreciated it and would have preferred a magazine instead. No doubt there will be one next year. As you are a member they might have a spare copy of last year's offering to give you. I would ask Enid, our membership secretary at membership-secretary@bibba.com, if she can arrange for one to be sent to you.

Steve