Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help with drawing and morphplot

Blog Entries

Have a look at the drone as you pluck its wing off (or before you humanely dispatch it somehow). They come colour coded. Hate to encourage gingerism (I'm quite fond of red-heads and I have a daughter of that hue) but these are the ones unadapted to the UK climate. The locals are dark brown, blackish even.

Blog Entries

here is one of my frames of drones from last year.
    No ginger in there.

drones on frame.jpg

I like to see a couple of frames like this in every colony.

Blog Entries

You must have Photoshopped that one. I should take a picture of some of mine. You'll see the Brechin (ish) influence in them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I already take the strongest antihistamines the docs prescribe as my hayfever is quite bad, now on the 10mg over the counter stuff i'm on 180mg stuff and my arm still went like this!
    We count the pollen types in the air and grass is making an appearance here in quentity now. Hopefully next year, after all that raw honey you'll be eating over-winter and in the spring, you'll have less of a problem with hay fever. So they say anyway.

I start Mid feb normally, by now I normally have stopped taking them but it's still going this year. I doubt it'll be a full cure, I already eat local honey from local honey producer and thats not doing much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Have a look at the drone as you pluck its wing off (or before you humanely dispatch it somehow). They come colour coded. Hate to encourage gingerism (I'm quite fond of red-heads and I have a daughter of that hue) but these are the ones unadapted to the UK climate. The locals are dark brown, blackish even.
    If only they were unadapted they would disappear then but they don't

I think sampling drones would be a better bet in lowland Scotland where the drone population is loaded toward Carniolan in early season.
    You might then graft from those queens and go for late mating to give the best chance of accessing local or possibly even AMM drones if you have breeding group
    Artificial swarming in May/Jun or early grafting probably just means a commercial Carniolan takeover.
    In non Commercial areas (where bees struggle or difficult to access) breeding can be controlled to some extent
    But if someone foolishly buys a £75 amm queen this year then next year her daughter will have an Aussie accent and possibly be a body line bowler as well
    Often people are told buy local bees but they can be very exotic depending on where the queens were mated (cue Rolf Harris "can ye tell what it is yet")
    Also if they are this years queen they will have to have been mated early
    Better to say buy an overwintered late mated nuc ?